Saturday, August 10, 2024

Storms of Life

Hi there, Blog Friends! I am borrowing from something I wrote a little earlier in the week, and I hope you don't mind. We had a pretty big storm around here last Tuesday, and some of my local friends are still waiting for their power to be restored and storm damages to be cleaned up. 


Everyone is ok, and the Pretties have power, but this is still super relevant:

Psalm 34:4 was the first piece of scripture I memorized as an adult. I still carry it with me everywhere, because I tend toward anxiety. Right or wrong, fear seems to be my default. 

The first time I really understood how calming scripture can be was more than several summers ago. My husband and I had 2 small children, and we had just spent a rainy day at Cedar Point. On our way out of the park, in the dark, another storm was rolling in as we drove along the causeway. I felt very small in that minivan, buffeted by rain and wind and unable to see much in the dark. 

Except when the lightning flashed. Each time the sky blazed with light, I could look to the left and to the right at the churning lake, and at the trees bending over their houses along the road in between the waters. Was there a tornado brewing? Would the wind blow us off the road? How were the kids already falling asleep in the back?

Realizing that there was nothing for me to do as my husband drove us calmly through the storm, I started to pray. Then I started to repeat Psalm 34:4: “I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.” And do you know what? He, the God of the storm, delivered me from my fears. 

The storm subsided in time, or we drove out of it, I really don’t remember which. What I do remember is that God delivered me from my FEAR. The storm was secondary. Praise God!

As our community recovers from Tuesday’s storm, I'm finding so much to be thankful for. I spent 20 minutes in my daughter's basement with toddlers, and we were not harmed. That same daughter was driving with one of those boys, just before the storm hit,  and they were not harmed. I know of folks who lost homes in the storm (there were at least 2 tornado touchdowns confirmed in our area), and they were not harmed. So much to be thankful for.

I am most thankful that the boys did not seem anxious during our time in the basement. I desperately don't want to pass my anxiety default onto them. Thank you, Lord, for keeping us calm in the storm!



What kinds of storms have been happening around you this week? Dysfunctional families, financial  hardship, stress at work and much more can make us all fearful and anxious. If you don't yet know the God of the storm, who is able to deliver you from all your fears, I hope you'll take a moment to introduce yourself. Reading the Psalms in the Bible is one good place to start. Talking with me is another! 

(Psst! If you start with a reading plan on the YouVersion Bible app, it'll even read to you! I like to knit and listen sometimes. ðŸ™‚)


Thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health! 

A nice, calm image for your mind. 🙂

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear after it has been approved.