Saturday, August 1, 2020

Shall I Knit You a Hat?

Shall I knit you hat?

Or a toy? 

Or a blanket?

Knitting has been a friend to me for many years now, and it has gotten me through times of joy, sadness and uncertainty. Some say that knitting is like meditation, or like yoga, or like coffee. Wait. No one actually says that knitting is like coffee, do they? I don't think they do. Still, I agree with the sentiment. 

I am thankful for quiet mornings with a hot cup of coffee, my Bible and my knitting, and my habit is to start every day in this way. On the days that I skip one of those items, I have a much harder time focusing on anything, but just a little bit time with God and Yarn and Coffee seems to keep me going. 

My general policy is this: If it could be worse, then I am probably ok...and on most days, it could definitely be worse! So I pick up my knitting to calm my heart, engage my hands, and quiet my head. 

When I am sad, I like to knit easy things, like a simple hat or socks. I just knit the same stitch, over and over, around and around, and I can think about what makes me sad or something else...but I my head does not get bogged down in the knitting. I am centered on my hands, and I work through my feelings.

When I am joyful, I knit toys and anything in super-bright colors! A new baby? I've got a knit for that! A celebration? I will knit something colorful, and it may be a gift for the celebratee. I center on all that is good, and I lift my heart to the occasion until I am feeling like someone is celebrating me!

In times of uncertainty, I knit differently. When I cannot fix a problem, when I cannot know an outcome, when I cannot predict the future, I knit complicated patterns that take all my focus. This keeps me from centering on the things I cannot know or do, and helps me feel successful in something. I am centered on the knitting, and my mind is free from fear and doubt. 

Knitting also allows me to free my brain and focus on what God might be teaching me. After all, he "knit me together in my mother's womb,"* and he loves me unconditionally. Surely I can learn something about him from all things...what is he teaching me today?

Do you knit? If not, do you have some hobby or practice to center yourself at times of uncertainty? to comfort you in times of sadness? to bring color to your joy? Tell me about it in the comments. I will just be over here on the sofa, knitting a new toy for my grandson...

Thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health!

*Psalm 139:13-16

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Julie! (And how have I not responded to you until now? Sorry for the oversight!)

      Delete