Saturday, July 22, 2023

Goofing Off

Goofing off should be a national pastime. Well, maybe it already is...lol...and that's not always a good thing. But goofing off should be recognized as productive sometimes...it can be a great self-care tool.

Before you get angry with me, and you start complaining about how no one wants to work these days (well, except you and me) let's talk about productivity. I mean, I love to get things done, and the days that I call my best are highly productive. Those days are also long, full of fret and occasionally frustrating. But at the end, I have something tangible to show, even if it's just a line of checked-off boxes on my to-do list. I feel good about myself on these days...good, and tired too, usually! 

The days that frustrate me the most, though, are the ones with no checked boxes, despite much work and few breaks. My pattern is to just buckle down and work harder, concentrate harder, skip bathroom breaks until I can finish just. One. Stinkin'. Thing. 

Hmmm, I feel a new respect for potty-training toddlers...trying to learn and do ALL the things. Who has time to sit on that thing, Mommy?

I'm so obsessed with productivity and getting things done that even my hobby ends in a product. I'm not always sure what the purpose for the project is...sometimes it's just the play, I suppose. 

A knitted star and tiny bag, just for fun!


And there you have the goofing off part...the play! Whether the play is organizing mini-skeins of many colors for a large project


or figuring out what to do with little, knitted stars and bags (this bag may be a yarn holder?)


Or maybe the goofing off is binging something on Netflix while mindlessly knitting a simple sock...or knitting nothing at all. <gasp!> Can I even not knit???

It turns out that I can, which is good, because goofing off can also result in the occasional ambush nap...and every knitter knows that falling asleep with pointy needles can be dangerous! 

I don't think I'll ever overdo goofing off, and I think that's good. Too many lazy hours or days aren't really good for most people. Though I do see the need for some down-time, relaxing isn't in my general nature either, and I really have to work to create spaces to relax. Maybe you do, too. If yes, let's do lunch...soon!...and goof off a little together! 

Until then, I hope you find some time in your busy schedule to relax and goof off, even if it's just for a few minutes. It'll do your body and mind good! 

Thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health! 



No comments:

Post a Comment