Saturday, March 6, 2021

A Tale of Two Kitchens

So, last week I broke the news, with a little trepidation. This week, I am going to wander out on the ice a bit farther to tell you my tale of two kitchens. For the last 26 years, this has been my kitchen, and I kinda love it...at times.

It is a tiny kitchen, so small that for some years we did not even have a tall fridge in that space. We got by with a counter-height fridge for the basics (milk, eggs, butter, lunchmeats), and we had our full-size fridge in the basement. It wasn't that bad, actually, and I was in better shape for running up and down those stairs every time I cooked...or baked...or did anything involving food in the kitchen (like, yanno, feeding people).

These days, we are back to a larger fridge, one that fits into the space provided, and this kitchen has served me well for years of regular days, holidays, candy and cookie making, and gingerbreading. I will miss it...a little bit. This week, I joked that I am going to have it made into a locket as a remembrance. Well, that may be taking it a bit far...but look at the progress in my soon-to-be-finished new kitchen!

I know! OMGosh! I was going to count the cabinets in both kitchens, for comparison sake, but I keep losing count in the new kitchen...lol! So many cabinets and counters...I will no longer need to clear the tiny kitchen table in the corner to roll out a pie crust or decorate gingerbread, relegating the cookie jar, napkins and placemats to the basement craft table. I will just do what I need to do, then wipe down my counter and move on. (Cue songs of angels in my new kitchen.)

As a bonus, if I go into the kitchen to make a cup of tea for a friend (or for me) I will no longer have to miss out on everything going on in the other room. Our next season of holiday treats is going to be so much fun to put together! I can even lay all the cookies out to dry on the counters, if I want...without having to stow them in the basement, or a bedroom, or the garage! (Disclaimer: I have never stowed homemade goodies in the garage to keep them out of the way and away from the cats...no, never. It might have been a good idea some years, but the icy walk to the garage would likely have done me in!)

Ok, one more photo, then I think I'm done for today. This one is a photo of our actual unit! (There are 4 condos in this grouping.) Still waiting on siding, and some other outdoor details, but isn't it lovely?

Yes, it is safe to say that I am getting excited! Still hoping that I am not jinxing us, and enjoying the parts of the process that I can as we continue to pack up the starter home. I have finally taken down most of the photos that were on our walls, so here's a new one that I have not yet framed. Look at these boys grow!

Now it's time for me to go find something to knit. Lately, I am crushing the neutral dish-/facecloths! Between projects, between homes, I hardly know what to do with myself! Lol...so I just keep knitting!

Whatever you are in the middle of, thanks for stopping by today! Oh!, and Knit in Good Health!

No comments:

Post a Comment