Saturday, March 20, 2021

Love Lifts Us Up

Clearly, according to the musical fates, love lifts us up where we belong! So, what else does love do? 

Love doesn't use the gift, so that it won't get worn out. Love treasures the handmade, and invests in the hands that made it. Love sends that handmade item back to its origins when the original recipient meets Love in Heaven...and Love then wears the gloves.

A few weeks ago, just after Christmas, I told you a bit about my Aunt Mickey. I feel like she left us too soon, and I know I am not the only one. Still, we are grateful for the legacy of love she leaves behind. 

Yesterday, I learned that a gift I had sent her in love has come full circle. On her first trip to Italy, to visit her son and his family, I asked if she might look for some yarn for me please. I sent money (which I think she sent back with the yarn) and told her to pick something that she liked. She brought back yarn that I mostly knit into baby things for my first granddaughter, when we were expecting her more than 10 years ago!

But some of that yarn was knit into a pair of matching mitts, one for me and one for my very generous Aunt Mickey. I sent the mitts with a note of thanks, and I didn't really think about them much until my cousin sent me a pic of the mitts while looking through some of her mom's things in February. Did I want them back? Mom didn't wear them much, she didn't want to stretch them out...she could maybe send them to her sister-in-law, still living in Italy? 

Yes! This sounds like the perfect solution to me, and I am happy to report that the mitts have arrived, back where they started. 

As far as I can see, the note says,
"Cousin Pam made these for Mom as a thank you for the Italian yarn you or Mom brought her on that first trip to visit. It looks like she never wore them, probably didn't want to ruin them by stretching them out.

Let's not hold on to use things for "someday".

You can get good use of them for at least 6 months out of the year!"  

Love, Mar

Good thoughts, Mar. Let's not wait to use things. Let's wear the gloves, use the crystal punch bowl just because, eat with the good silverware and sit right on the couch. Let's live life abundantly, loving one another, as life is meant to be lived. Let's not wait for someday.

I know it is a pandemic, but how can you show someone your love today? Make the phone call. Write the letter. Speak the kind words. Feed the sheep. 

All the love to you, readers. Whether you are family, friend or internet acquaintance, all the love to you!

Thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health!
Baby Sweater in Italian Yarn, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment