Saturday, May 9, 2020

Honoring Mom, I hope...

Mother's Day comes every year. It is always on a Sunday, and it should not surprise me, but it usually does. This year is no different, and I am ashamed to say that I have neither card nor gift for my mother or my mother-in-law this weekend. I am not an outstanding daughter or daughter-in-law, and I am sorry to both of you.

However, my failure to plan is not a black mark against either of you, so I thought I might use this blog post as my "card." I know...cheap substitute...but straight from the heart.

Mom, 
Thank you for being my mom. Pregnancy was not easy for you, but you persevered. This speaks of the love you had for me before I even existed. Your commitment to our family is something that astounds me. Before I was a grandmother, I am not sure I ever truly appreciated the mental and emotional strength that is required to love a family, to raise children into and through adulthood. I know there were probably times that you wanted to throw in the towel, because motherhood is hard! I know there have been times that I have wanted to toss my own towel, and I think my struggles were smaller than many of yours, but you kept going. Thank you for that example. Thank you for loving me and my sister, and for often giving to us out of your nearly empty cup. Love spent multiplies itself, and yours has filled my heart more than words can express.

Rita,
Thank you for having and raising your children, including the big one you handed over to me in 1987. I have done my best to keep him in line through the years, failing more than once, and he is just one. In fact, I am in awe of your fortitude in raising 5 children. I often thought about that when I was raising your grandchildren, and losing my mind with just two of them...I might have legitimately lost my mind if I had more than double that number! But you did not lose your mind. You kept putting one foot in front of the other, working full-time, keeping a tidy home and making sure that food was ready when 7 souls sat around your dinner table at the end of the day. Even if your only reason for persevering is "that's just what you did," thank you for staying. I do not know what all your specific struggles were back then, but I know you had struggle. Thank you for not giving up. Your love is at the center of our extended family.

To both of you,
As my kids (your grandchildren) have given me grandchildren of my own, I respect you at a new level. At the heart of our love for these newest generations, we also know well the perils they may face, and we worry. As I love and watch my son and daughter live through the highs and lows of parenthood, there is often little for me to do. Sharing their joyful triumphs and sometimes struggling with them through difficulties is less hands-on than when they were little, but I am no less emotionally involved. I am all in! And I kind of love that I know that YOU know just what I am talking about. Thanks for being good grandmothers!

A verse that I often hear pulled out at Mother's Day mentions the impact a mother and a grandmother had on the young preacher, Timothy. (2 Timothy 1:5) 

I'm not going to pick that verse apart, because this is not a Bible study blog, but I will note that Timothy's mother and grandmother were both honored with a mention. They persevered to raise their son/grandson well, just as you did. As I look back at everything that I have written today about why I am thankful for both of you and your positions as mothers and grandmothers, I hope that I have honored you as well. I love you both. Happy Mother's Day!

If anyone but my mom and mother-in-law is still reading, thanks for stopping by. I hope this honors all of the women who strengthen families, each in her own unique way, this weekend. 
Thank you.
Picture of flowers
Back to the knitting next week!

1 comment: