Saturday, March 25, 2023

Big...ummm...Words?

I...like...big...WORDS, and I cannot LIE--
You other bloggers can't de-NY;
When the page starts off with itty-bitty words,
It dissapoints both you and I...

<insert record scratch here>

WaitWaitWait...I'm pretty sure thats not how the song goes. I'm also pretty sure I'm not alone in my love for words! I Wordle and Quordle and Octordle just about every day, and the hubs and I work the Spelling Bee together for fun...so it shouldn't surprise anyone that some of my favorite knits have involved the building blocks of words...letters!


There's the knitted alphabet, which lives in my toy bin these days. With just one of every letter, its use is a little limited...although this word uses 15, unique, non-repeated letters (it even has its own blog post)...


Then two sets of alphabet blocks for grandchildren, with soft, foam cores that are light and squishy.


My daughter tells me that the middle boy enjoys it when she bounces these off the hiss forehead, and I've seen it...she's  right, he does! 


But I prefer to line them up and help the kids learn sounds and sight words. 


However we play with them, knitted alphabet blocks are just plain fun (for English nerds anyway!). This new set has a firmer foundation, with a different core block...still super light, but not squishy (details on my project page)...


I've modified the design a bit, unified the color palette, and I am so close to finishing...with 24 blocks already completed! 


26 blocks, 6 sides each, 156 possible letters to work with, and at least 4 of each letter! So many possibilities! How can a knitter follow that? 


Well, since you asked, maybe we'll do some numbers too! Reading AND math...I almost can't contain the excitement...lol!

What are you knitting for fun these days? Drop a hint and let me know...I could use some ideas for my next knit!

Thanks for stopping by, and


And, if you really need the song, here it is: Sir Mixalot's pop-rap hit from 1992


No comments:

Post a Comment