Saturday, January 16, 2021

The Great Cleanout of 2021

So, last week, I introduced you to Swedish Death Cleaning , and today marks the end of week 2 in the Great Cleanout of 2021 in my home. That means I have more treasures to show you before they are relegated to charitable donations (or the trash...some of this stuff goes directly to the bin...lol!) First up is band paraphernalia!

I started in the band in 4th grade, playing the flute. In 5th grade, I tried the clarinet, which I played through the end of 6th grade. Over the summer, I learned how to play the trumpet, which I continued until I graduated high school. Along the way, I also played the trombone for a bit and the french horn for my senior year of concert band and orchestra, alongside the trumpet for marching band, jazz band and pep band. Yes, I was in all the bands! Concert uniforms included blue pants and jackets, and these beauties:

Through the years, I collected sweatshirts (see above) and jewelry and buttons representing my love of band (and music...I have always loved music!) and some other fun things, too.
See the national honor society pins?
Wow! Buttons from the 1985 inauguration
I attended with the BHS marching band!
But that's not all! No, that's not all! In the 6 boxes I took out of the attic to empty, I also found Pop Pop's old Navy uniform (look! the hat still fits! lol), a sweatshirt I made my dad when my kids were very small (December 1992) and my Girl Scout sash from Juniors! 

I'm not sure my dad ever wore this. It has been 
in a box, in my attic for 25 years.

Six boxes. That's 6 boxes my kids will not have to go through when I am gone. Allen and Jess, you're welcome! Also, there are some fun things I found that I will soon be sending your way! 

And the song that runs through my head while I have 25 years of the attic strewn about the living room starts, "From the window, to the wall! 'Til the sweat drips..." The rest of the lyrics are probably inappropriate for my family blog, so I won't post a link... (The song was released in 2002, and I can't believe it lives in my head! Maybe I can blame that on having teenagers in that time period! Lol...)

As I get ready to print my 2020 blog book, I am reminded that my blog is a great place to store my memories, and no one has to clean out the attic if I store them here! And yes, I do print my digital content...it may go up in a fire someday, or it may be something my kids fight over (No! I want Mom's Blog Books!...yeah, probably not), or it may just be a tangible reminder I can look at whenever I want. Perhaps it will give Allen and Jess a chance to do some Swedish Death Cleaning of their own in 30 or 40 years!

From the window the wall, thanks for stopping by, friends! Whatever the status of your junk, may you Knit in Good Health today and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment