Saturday, December 12, 2020

12 Days Before Christmas Eve

12 days before Christmas Eve. Today is twelve days before Christmas Eve. I know this is true, because I have opened 12 days of Advent yarn
I purchased this Advent Yarn Calendar from
Suburban Stitcher, and it is worth every penny!
from two different kits.
I won this Advent Yarn Calendar from 716knits
in a contest with my online knitting group!
12 days into December this year, despite all this pretty yarn, I am stressed.

When I was in 4th or 5th grade, the elementary school choir sang a song called "12 Days Before Christmas," and I remember it being the coolest song of all time. Every year, at about this time, I think about that song, and I search the internet for any iteration of it...but to no avail. I remember the chorus went like this:
"12 days before Christmas, I was very upset and blue -
12 days before Christmas, I had nothing to give to you!
I had nothing to wrap, nothing to spend, 
Nothing to buy, nothing to send!
12 days before Christmas, I had nothing to giiiiiiiive -- to you!"

I am going to pause here to say that if you know this song, or where I might find a recording, or sheet music, anything to prove that it is a real song and not just a figment of my imagination, please send me a link! Seriously. I love the memory of this song! Having the complete lyrics/music would make my heart (and likely my mouth) sing!

As Christmas approaches this year, I find myself frustrated in the way of this song. There are still several people on my list that I don't have anything for...I am embarrassed at my anxiety over Christmas shopping in this season of pandemic, and stifled in the thought of what would even make good gifts this year. And I know I am running out of time. The struggle is real. 

Getting back to that song, it ends up on a pretty good note. The resolution to the problem goes something like this:
It was a little bit tattered, a little bit torn,
A little bit battered, a little bit worn
(Forgive me friends, but my memory of this part is spotty. The gift was wrapped up in ribbons...something, something, something...but ultimately...) 
It was ME!

So this year, 12 days before Christmas Eve, this is what I've got: 

I'm working on the Christmas candy. It is coming along.

I'm doing some knitting, though not really for Christmas gifts...more to ease my anxious thoughts. 

I'm still shopping online, and in person, even though I know that some things may have no hope of being delivered on time. 

I am stressing about the day not being perfect, and I am telling myself (again this year, over and over, ad nauseum) that it does not need to be a perfect day. Or a perfect couple of days. Or a perfect anything. Christmas only needs to be a simple celebration of family. A simple celebration of my earthly family, and my faith family. "With God as our father, brothers all are we..."

12 days before Christmas, I am trying to wrap my head around being present in the moments around Christmas and through the rest of this year, whatever that may bring. 

If you are also stressed, please know that you are not alone. Take a deep breath. Make a cup of tea. Take a tip from Elsa, and let it go where you can. And breathe, just breathe...maybe read a blog or two. :winky face:

Thanks for stopping by. 

Knit in Good Health, and spread some holiday cheer, even if you holiday is not the same as mine!
A few more of my favorite things.



1 comment:

  1. The yarn packaging from 716sock is really clever! How much yardage do you get each day? I can't wait to see what you make from them!

    Merry Christmas, Pretty!

    ReplyDelete