Saturday, September 28, 2019

Livin' on the Edge

Happy Saturday, blog readers! We are coming to you (we?...the cats and I? the royal we? is there anyone else here with me?...) LIVE from the edge today! 

Readers: The edge? The edge of what?

Fair question...the edge of everything!

The edge of boiling, in which the blogger sits down to write and stops watching the pot of sticky, sweet concord grapes that are on high. They boil over with a messy, purple spit, gurgle and hiss as the liquid drips onto the gas flame, and my kitchen smells very, very grape! No worries, I have turned down the flame, everything is at a simmer and I have set a timer. We will stay at the edge of boiling for about 10 minutes, I think. Oh, and thank you for the Concords, L!

The edge of another knitted kitty cat for another grandchild...well, almost the edge. Almost the neck-edge, to be exact. The body stripes involve less thinking than the jagged color-work which frames the face on this cat...we are right on the edge of starting that part.

The edge of cold weather. Even though our temperatures maintain that summer feel outside, we had our last Friday night walk (until spring) at our favorite park last night, as the fall/winter hours (park closes at 4:30pm) begin Oct 1st. The last bits of purple are still popping, but the yellows and browns are breaking through.

Yes, friends, I am on the edge. This is a place I am very familiar with, and there is always a new adventure looming when things come to an end in any season. There are lots of things I am looking forward to, and some I am unsure of.

One thing I have no doubt about is this: There will always be another transition. The next one may be small (changing seasons, new projects to knit) or huge (our growing church is moving to a new location, and I don't know just what that will look like for the teams I serve with). But whatever the change, we know it will come.

The edge is not comfortable. There are unknowns, and I feel the sharpness of the turns more acutely now than I did when I was in my 20s (although I was pretty resistant to change as a young woman, too). But this week, and today specifically, I am doing ok with all of it. Today I will trust God and try to not look down, one foot in front of the other, right there on the edge.

Are you on the edge of anything, big or small? How do you work through it, and what do you hold onto? Whatever it is, hold onto this, too: You are not alone. You are not the first, and you won't be the last to go through this transition...and even if you do not see him, God is working through it with you.

If you have nothing to hold onto as you face the edge, consider trusting God. I do not always see what is coming next. Sometimes that is because I am not looking, but most of the time I just can not know, and that just slays me. I want an explanation. I want to know why I have to go around that corner and what is on the other side...but most of the time, those questions remain unanswered...so I trust God. 

I trust God. Then I blog...or knit...or have a cookie (I am trying to cut down on that last one)...and I just put one foot in front of the other until I get to the next corner. Wanna join me? I'm here all week (though I only blog on Saturday).

Thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health!

No comments:

Post a Comment