Saturday, February 2, 2019

Happy Sweater-day!

Light and shadow play a big part on the second of February, as the nation wakes up to find out if good ol' Punxsutawney Phil has seen his shadow or not. But either way, whether the rodent sees his shadow or not...whether we have 6 more weeks of dark, shadowy winter, or bright springtime comes sooner...every day plays out in light and shadows when the month of January and its coordinating sweater are finished!

This year marks the fifth January sweater I have knit for myself! It started in 2014, with a knit-a-long in my local knitting group, when I knit this sweater:

In 2015, I was busy knitting baby sweaters and toys, but I knit another January sweater in 2016,

in 2017,

and in 2018!

Each sweater in January has taught me something about knitting, and a little bit about myself, too. I have learned that I love a challenge (knititng an adult sweater in under a month is a challenge!), I enjoy many different kinds of patterns (both the knitting and the wearing), and I still love knitting! (As if me not loving knitting was even an option...lol!) As a bonus, after spending the last 3-4 months of any year frantically knitting for others (Christmas knitters, amiright?), it is so good to have one thing for me that I can focus on.

This year's sweater has taught me that, regardless of the cold, the best pictures are in the sunshine and snow...

and sometimes on the porch!

I learned that I really love the look of a well-placed bead...a little "bling" for a gal who usually doesn't mess with much jewelry (despite the name of this blog),

and I still love grabbing vintage buttons from Grandmother's button box.

Now that the almost-annual January sweater is finished, you know I will get back to knitting for these three cuties:



but when I am wearing any of my my January sweaters, I know that I can conquer whatever shadowy news the Groundhog brings on February second! What brings you joy and warms your heart in the middle of a shadowy winter? Whatever it is, I hope that you will cherish it and look to the light, even on the coldest, snowy-est of days.

Thanks for stopping by, friends, and Happy Sweater-day to you! May you Knit in Good Health all winter long!

No comments:

Post a Comment