Saturday, February 23, 2019

Accidentally Inappropriate Friends

Disclaimer: At least one of my photos below may be terribly inappropriate. Please accept my sincerest apologies. 

I had a hard time typing that disclaimer because, as you know, I strive to be pretty tame in the Pretty Knitty Blog. I occasionally knit things that might resemble something inappropriate at first...for instance, the beginning of a toe-up sock can sometimes look like a cozy for another part of the body...and I have been the recipient of many a sideways glance while knitting toe-up socks in public settings. Sometimes the looks are accompanied by a follow up question, like, "Ummm, pardon me for asking, but what exactly are you making???"

"Not what you are thinking, I'll bet!," is a commonly Pretty answer! Lol! I love that knitting brings with it such imaginative responses from the non-knitters around me! So funny to think that pretty little me might be knitting something "naughty."

Alas, most of my knitting is very, very tame. For instance, these little giraffes that I knit for my grandson's room...and the pic was just so cute, I put it on my custom Kindle cover. Every time I look at my Kindle, I get a little boost of the "look-what-I-can-knit!" good vibes that come with the territory of toy-knitting!

Of course, there was that time that I knit the senior minister (and my good friend) a bookmark. The lace pattern reminded me of arched church windows and it was turning out so very lovely...until my then-teen-aged son pointed out that the unblocked windows resembled...ummmm, something else...something decidedly anatomical. "Are you still going to give that to Mr. Hanze, Mom?," he asked.

I reasoned with him that when the work had been blocked and flattened out it would look much less like what he thought it looked like. But the truth was that I could never look at that bookmark again, even after blocking, without seeing...well, what my boy saw. I did give it to Tim, and I told him the story. Boy!, did he have a good laugh! So did I, every time I saw those "church windows" peeking out of a book that my dear senior minister was reading! (I know. I know. I really want to post a pic, but I just can't even. Too inappropriate!)

This past  week, I knit some simple dolls for my youngest granddaughter. Knit flat, then seamed into a tube before stuffing and shaping, this type of toy has the potential to look like an inappropriate cozy along the way, so I was careful to not take in-process photos. When they were finished, I posed each toy on top of my Kindle in its cover, for perspective and extra cuteness, which was just perfect...

Until it was accidentally inapropriate!

Bwaaahahahahaha! My knitting group has a kind of middle-school boy sense of humor, and after pointing out my poor placement, they dared me to post that photo on Facebook to see how long it took someone to comment! These friends remind me regularly that it is a good thing to not take myself too seriously, so here I am blogging it today...hahaha!!!

Today's post is no accident, but I did not even see what they saw in that photo until I got to knitting on Thursday. This makes me unobservant, and maybe a bit naive, but posting the evidence proves that at least I am not taking myself too seriously today! I hope that you have people in your life that keep you humble, and help you find humor in unexpected places. I am so thankful for my twisted knitting sisters!

Thanks for stopping by, friends...and Knit in Good Health...even if your knitting is occasionally inappropriate!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the laugh. I would not have seen it until you asked us if we saw it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not see it at all until knit night! There, the very first friend I showed it to nearly spit Pepsi right out her nise...lol!

      Delete