Saturday, August 25, 2018

Wait Here

I have spent my whole life waiting. Waiting to grow up. Waiting to find love. Waiting for babies to come. Lately, waiting for my computer to update...

At every stage, I feel like I am waiting for more waiting. Waiting for doctors and dentists and groceries and traffic. Waiting for my children to finish baseball practice, wrestling practice, volleyball practice, cross country races. Waiting for them grow up. Then waiting for weddings, and grandchildren. Always waiting for life to slow down...just a little. 

There has been no shortage of waiting for me, and there is more on my horizon, I am sure. I am also fairly confident in saying that it is probably the same for you. So, what shall we do in the meantime, while we mark time? How shall we fill our time, as we wait through the waiting?

For me, you can be sure that there will be knitting. Knitting for babies that are waiting to be born. Knitting for bridal and baby showers, for dear friends, darling grandchildren and dainty new lives. Knitting simply to pass the time more productively...after all, Christmas is always coming! 

There will also be reflection and self-examination, as I look back through memories of past waits. I have not always waited well, and I have occasionally been bested by impatience and laziness during the wait. These days, I fill my wait times with more prayer and Bible study (and yarn) than ever before, and this is a good thing. I love that I am learning constantly, sometimes listening to a Bible podcast and knitting a new stitch at the same time.

A couple of verses have presented themselves over and over again in recent waits, so I am certain there is something for me in them. Perhaps there is something for you, as well, so I will share.

Psalm 145:13
For your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom. You rule throughout all generations. The Lord always keeps his promises; he is gracious in all he does. 

Romans 8:38
And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God's love...not even the powers of hell can separate us from God's love.

2 Corithians 1:3-4
All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful father, and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. 

Three truths that carry me through my waiting, three truths to combat the lies my mind whispers incessantly in its idleness: 

1. God is an everlasting God who ALWAYS keeps his promises.
2. God loves me, and NOTHING can separate me from that love.
3. God is the source of ALL comfort, so that we might also be sources of comfort.

There are lots of other verses that confirm these truths for me, but these are the three that have been in my face this week. I am so thankful to live in a time and place where his truth is so available to me. It is quite a thing to be free to believe and practice my faith, free to learn to be a better person because of who He is to me. 

There is one more thing in these truths. Even though I sometimes have to wait on God...waiting for answers and direction, or for hard times to get better, or for bad feelings to pass...I know that God will always be there, keeping his promise to love and comfort me. Yes, the waiting might seem like the hardest part, but at least we get lots of practice in getting through it!

Thanks for stopping by, and Knit (and wait) in Good Health!

No comments:

Post a Comment