Saturday, September 25, 2021

Looking Forward and Back

Last January, I blogged about my Aunt Mickey (and some other things). It was a sad time of saying goodbye, and I even posted some pictures.

Today, there was a gathering to honor her memory and celebrate the 80 years she spent circling the sun on planet Earth, touching lives and loving well. Covid has caused the gap in grieving, but I am glad for the opportunity to consciously call back the good memories and see the photos of her smiling face again. 

As this day has approached, I have thought about the memories that dance in my brain when I think of her, and I looked for some photos that are a good indication of the Aunt Mickey I remember so fondly. Note: Some of these photos are not mine, but the face on that sweet lady is the one I remember when making similar memories. (Thank you Facebook, for showing me other parts of her life all the time!)

I remember visits to Aunt Mickey and Uncle Bill's house when I was growing up. I remember the layout, even though I have not been there in years, because it was essentially the same as the Tiny House I just sold in June! It was always good to walk into that familiar kitchen and to sit at the table. It was so good to share food, whether a meal in the basement for a First Communion Party or desserts and snacks in the kitchen, because the food and company were so wonderful! 

I remember cooking and baking with Aunt Mickey, and learning all the time! "You have to whip the egg whites for 10 minutes," she would tell me about the meringue cookies, "and everything has to be very clean before you start." After years of following her advice, I know that she was right. Clean tools, well-rinsed and chilled, or your meringues are doomed! I remember watching her bake, and tasting the goodness of so many treats that came out of her tiny kitchen. I am thankful that her grandchildren were able to enjoy similar memories, and all the taste tests!

I remember when I would approach Aunt Mickey, a "fun-sized" adult, to see if I was getting taller. She would jokingly threaten to cut us off at the knees if we got taller than she was, and she would tell us to sit down...lol! For the record, I did grow taller than Aunt Mickey, and my knees are in tact!

I remember introducing my children to her and watching their eyes light up as she told stories. She was a crazy-good storyteller, full of imaginative tales! So my kids knew her as "Crazy" Aunt Mickey...but the good kind of crazy, not the "they're-coming-to-take-you-away" kind of crazy. As kids, and even as young adults I think, they looked forward to the intermittent visit with Crazy Aunt Mickey.

I remember calling Aunt Mickey when our extended family went sideways a few years back, seeking solace and comfort in a confusing time. I called, out of the blue, and I'm not even sure I told her what was wrong. And she listened. And she told me I was doing a good job as a mom and grandma. And she told me she loved seeing pictures of my beautiful grandbabies on Facebook.

As I look both forward and back, I celebrate the influence that Aunt Mickey has had on my life. I hope that I am half the mom and grandma that she was, and I continue to strive to improve every year. I miss knowing that Aunt Mickey is just a phone call away, but I am glad for the renewed friendships I am creating with some of my cousins over the last few years. 

Thanks for the memories, Aunt Mickey. I love you and miss you so much, but I will go on, just as you would have. 

For those of you who didn't know Mickey Segulin, I hope you have a Crazy-good Aunt Mickey in your life, and that you recognize her worth and celebrate her constantly!

Thanks for stopping by, and Look forward and back in Good Health!


No comments:

Post a Comment