Saturday, April 11, 2020

If I Knew You Were Coming...

Remember the old song that goes, "If I knew you were coming, I'd've baked a cake..."? Well, this song has been on my mind ever since my birthday, 10 days ago. I had intended to bake myself a cake, but I never really got the chance.

Fast forward to yesterday, while I was video chatting with my granddaughter, who suddenly burst into tears. "Why are you so sad?," asked the Grandma.

"Because I'm just sooooo hungry!," she answered through her tears. Yeah, we have all been there, kiddo, but it still broke my heart!

Once we talked through the solution to that particular problem, I joined her in the dining room for a snack, virtually of course.

Later, texting with Mommy, I learned that my extroverted Sweet Pea is having a really hard time not being able to go to school, play with friends or visit grandparents in person. It is really wearing on her...and on her Grandma too, to tell the truth.

This morning, I messaged Mommy when I had an idea. "Let's bake a cake together!" Mommy said they would have what they needed, so I set up the phone to video chat from the pouf of dry cake mix into the bowl to the final flourish of frosting! 

(We did take a 2-hour break to bake and cool our cakes.) At the end of the call, Sweet Pea announced that their cake would be an Easter cake, and we should have a group chat for Easter!

We know they are coming (virtually anyhow), so we baked a cake! Yay!

I am so glad that we did this! It was such fun, and now we all have cake for Easter tomorrow. The group chat with everyone is set up (Sweet Pea added Dollface, Pop Pop, and Gramma to her group as soon as we hung up). Hmmm, I wonder if Dollface has dessert?

These times have forced us to be creative in our care for one another, have they not? I cannot say that I am a fan of Stay-at-Home/Shelter-in-Place orders and social distancing, or the virus that has made these measures necessary, but I am so glad that we have the technology to still connect. 

Easter is coming, and I am looking forward to celebrating the Resurrection! If you have ever considered church but were too nervous to step into that building, you have a golden opportunity right now, my friends! You can attend multiple churches from the comfort of your living room, at a time that is convenient for you on the biggest holiday of the Christian calendar this weekend! Check the end of this post for some links.

Now off I go to knit on something to help me keep my mind off my birthday/Easter cake until tomorrow! If you "go" to church tomorrow, I would love to hear which one you went to and what you loved about it!

Thanks for stopping by, Knit in Good Health, and HAPPY EASTER!!!
As a bonus, I made homemade
buttercream...soooo yummy!
Links to three churches:
Christ Church (where I attend)
White Flag Christian Church (in St. Louis, I know the pastor)

No comments:

Post a Comment