Saturday, March 28, 2020

Unexpected (Day 6)

I did not expect that it would take me so long to blog our trip to the Holy Land. We returned on January 31st, and my first post went up March 7th! 

I did not expect that shortly after I started blogging about world travel, the world would be up to its armpits in worry over a pandemic that has hit more than 180 countries and territories. 

I did not expect that I would see a pandemic of this proportion in my lifetime. Yes, the flu has killed more people than most single pandemics...but coronavirus has infected so many, including people in my country, my state, my town...this pandemic is relevant and it is changing my life. 

A host of unexpected things happen to us all in a lifetime, for sure. I suppose this is just one more to add to the list. So, rather than struggle with the fear of what could happen next, I will take it one day at a time. While I do, now is as good a time as any to show you some of the unexpected things we encountered on our vacation!

I did expect to see old buildings and learn many things that relate to the history of my Christian faith. 


I did not, however, expect to find new and exciting pine cones!

I expected to walk where Jesus walked, and to see many churches built on or near significant historical sights, like the Church of St. Peter.



I did not expect that we would be walking up and down so many steps to access the actual, original streets that Jesus trod upon, 


or the endless scaffolding needed for maintenance and restoration of these sights. (I should have expected it, if I had done my homework before the trip, but I just did not.)

I expected to feel like I was in a "high-church" setting in some places, that there would be candles and stained glass windows for light, pews to sit in, roped off areas and special altars to look at. 



I did not expect that so many of the church sites would be so ornately decorated...gaudy at times, even.

And I did not expect that I would be touched by the lighting of a candle and a simple prayer. 

I expected that I would visit the place where Jesus was born, or a traditional site, like the church of the Nativity.

I did not expect that I would stoop through "the eye of the needle" to enter that church,


or be hustled and bustled in a giant crowd down a curved and narrow staircase opening

to see a 14-point star atop the place that might be the ground upon which he was born.

I expected that I would see new sights, and old cities and friendly faces.



I did not expect that my heart would be so moved by seeing the teaching steps at the temple

or the mikvahs (ritual baths)

or by forging new friendships along the way!



I expected that this would be the trip of a lifetime, and it was! 

I did not expect that having been in Israel would have strengthened my faith so intensely. I mean, I have read my Bible...I read (or listen to) a portion of that book nearly every day. I know the stories, and I believe them. I believe that Jesus is the Lord, the Son of the Living God, and He is my Lord and Savior...this has been a truth for me for almost 25 years. But this trip, touching stones Jesus may have touched, walking streets he surely walked, seeing the places that he actually said those words...what is it the kids say? Mind. Blown.

Just like any history lesson, being there takes it from a thing I know in two dimensions to a 3-D, theater-in-the-round experience! The sights, sounds, smells, tastes and textures enveloped us as we walked in the square of Jerusalem, through the streets of Cana, into the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem! 

And I didn't quite expect that. 

As we continue through the unexpected, here's a new way to look at this pandemic world:
Someday, you and I will have a story to tell about this year and these experiences. Our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren will study this event in their history classes, and they will want to know what it was like to live through it. What will your story be?

Thanks for stopping by. As you write your story, I hope you will also Knit in Good Health (if you knit)! You can tell a story with yarn too, ya know!

No comments:

Post a Comment