Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Promises, Promises

Promises. So many promises. I have often rested on someone's promise, and I have often been let down. I have let others down, breaking my promises, because I am human. We all let each other down eventually, we really just cannot help it, because you and I are far from perfect.

But. I have never been let down by God. Not even once.

In the Bible, God promises that he will never leave us, nor forsake us. He promises that if we are tired, he will give us rest. God promises power to the weak and strength to the powerless. He promises peace, salvation and freedom from sin, and God promises us that nothing can separate us from his love!  

These are just a few of the promises, that strengthen my faith in this pandemic world. I have this hope as an anchor for my soul (Hebrews 6:19) that God cannot lie, and that his promises are for me!

Oh sure, sometimes I wonder that God could let people have their free will, and that he could allow evil in the world...I think we all struggle with that. Right now, I wrestle with the thought that God knows what is happening with COVID-19, and he is letting it happen. But he is still working through it, because of his promises, and I am humbled.

The biggest promise I ever made to a single person was in my marriage vows. I wish I could say that I have been faithful to every word of every vow I made on that day 33 years ago, but I have failed at times. It was so lovely to remember our vows anew when we were able to restate them anew in a simple service in Cana of Galilee.

Look, a new "wedding" photo!

The idea of promise was made new to me in Israel. The promise of two hearts to love and to cherish. The promises of God to never leave or forsake us. The promise of a Savior, known only to a few in the beginning...until the miracles started happening.

The promise of a child who would be born to a virgin, celebrated by the building of the Church of the Annunciation.



The promise of living water that would eternally slake a desert thirst, made to a Samaritan woman by a Jew who "knew all she ever did," marked by this church and Jacob's well.




The promise of water still resonates with people everywhere. Water is something we all need to live...literally. Unlike our needs for companionship, variety and independence (things we are all missing a bit more in the quarantine state of Stay-at-Home orders) water is a non-negotiable. I have plenty of water. In fact all my needs are met, and God's promises are still true, so I will work on complaining less. I promise.

He is a good, good Father, and even in a pandemic world, I can see God working through his people to keep his promises. People all around me are caring for the needs of the elderly, sharing prayers with one another, collecting food for local pantries and delivering lunches to students who cannot go to school right now. I see God keeping his promises every day, and we are blessed. I hope that you can see it, too.

Thanks for stopping by friends. Be well, keep your promises, and Knit in Good Health!

(Bible References: Hebrews 13:5, Matthew 11:28, Isaiah 40:29-31, John 14:27; Proverbs 1:33, John 3:16, Romans 10:9, Romans 8:37-39, Hebrews 6:19)

1 comment: