Saturday, May 18, 2019

Nowhere to Go but Up

Graduation. Completion. An ending.

Commencement. A new beginning.

So many graduates are starting their journey from school to life in these next few weeks. It happens every year, but it is not every year that I have a personal connection to the story. If we go back a few years, when my kids graduated high school and Dollface finished college, it was very personal. We celebrated, as you do. Looking back on those celebrations, I wish I had celebrated them more. 

If we go back just a few more years, to my own high school graduation (...ahem...yes, just a few), I did not feel like celebrating. I felt woefully unprepared, and I really did not look forward to the transition from student to adult. Truth be told, I was scared to death. I did not even want to attend my commencement...as if not attending would somehow free me from the obligation to transition. 

But my parents forced me, my cap and my gown into the car. In my teen angst, I went with a scowl on my face and a rebellious attitude. I believe there is one photograph somewhere, taken by the company that takes photos as you walk across the stage and sends a proof and a price list a few weeks later. I do not know where that photo is, and I am totally ok with that.  It was not a good photo.

Despite the lack of photo evidence, I believe that I have transitioned pretty well. I mean, it has taken roughly 33 years, but here I am...an adult, a wife, a mother, a grandmother, a friend, an aunt...somewhere along the way, I have grown up. Up was really my only choice, so there you have it.

This week, my nephew's wife graduates Nursing School with her Associate's Degree. We attended her pinning ceremony, 

with the anointing of her nursing hands, on Thursday;

and commencement today. I am as proud of her as I can be, and I am glad to share her joy! Thank you for inviting us to celebrate with you! 

Way to go, Kiddo! You worked hard, even when the circumstances of life did not cooperate. You kept going when life seemed to be working against you. You have overcome obstacles, and you continue to fight adversity as you celebrate this occasion without some loved ones that you desperately wanted to celebrate with.

Again I say that I am proud of you, Girl, and I am thankful that you have so many to celebrate with you still. Grandmothers,

Friends,

and even this guy, our nephew, your handsome husband.

In the new Mary Poppins movie, there is a song that I think describes your path...Nowhere to Go, But Up! That is where you are headed, dear Niece...up! Up to the next job, the next degree, the next chapter in your life...in your story! I am excited to see where the journey takes you. Hold on tight, and we will be right behind you.

Who else has a new beginning coming? Share your graduation, commencement and other new beginnings stories in the comments, friends! I know it can be scary to start a new thing, and bid farewell to the things that you know, but I also know you can do this. There is nowhere to go but up!

Thanks for stopping by, and now commence to Knit in Good Health!

No comments:

Post a Comment