Saturday, December 23, 2017

Blue Christmas?

This December has been a little blue for me. There have been some weepy days, some memories that have hit hard and made me miss dear friends who are gone too soon. There has also been much joy...after all, Christmas is almost here! But there have been tears and sadz, too, for things that will never be the same. I am trying to remember that these are just feelings, and that feelings are not wrong, they are just feelings. This is the advice I would give if you came to me with December sadness that you were trying to banish...I would tell you it is ok. I would say, "Let yourself feel it before you try to move past it," and I am thankful that I have in-person and online friends who have said the same to me this month. I need the reminder as much as anyone.

December sadz are harder than those that come along during the rest of the year. It seems that there is no place for sad and lonely in the "hustle and bustle" or in the "merry and bright." Don't worry at Christmastime...be happy...right?!? Not always. Let yourself feel it, for a time, even in December.

If you miss him, let yourself miss him. Remember the Silent Nights and the candlelight with joy, though you mourn the fact that Christmas Eve will never be the same. Treasure the memory, but free yourself to create new traditions. 

If that song, you know the one that she loved, makes you wish she were still a part of your life, let yourself miss her. Remember the sparkle in her eye when she heard the introduction, and the  way her eyes danced through the music. Treasure that song as a part of who you are because of who she was to you.

If a memory is filled with regret, because of something you did or said, let yourself feel the regret for a moment. Then use that feeling to move forward and do better. By all means, if you are sorry, forgive yourself! You will likely be the last one to forgive you, but you must...then work at avoiding that regret in future relationships.

If  you are feeling "less than" this Christmas season, this is the one time I would tell you to stop it. We all feel less than perfect, less than capable, less than talented, less than loveable, less than worthy...all of us feel that from time to time. It is often more acute when we think we should be planning Pinterest-worthy holiday celebrations and new traditions.  

But whatever you are feeling less than about, from a failed attempt at Pinterest-perfect to regret over relationship woes, remember this:  You are God's Masterpiece, created anew in Christ Jesus, so you can do the good things he planned for you long ago. (Eph 2:10) You are never less than anything, but you are fearfully and wonderfully made (Ps 139:14) and loved beyond measure! (John 3:16) You are forgiven, you are loved, and you are more than enough.

If you are having a blue Christmas season, I feel ya. Me too. It is ok. Let yourself feel it, for a time, then get back to living your life abundantly. (John 10:10) That is what God intended when he sent Jesus, that we would not only live, but live large!

As we all get ready for December 25, I am praying that we will be finding new things to celebrate every day, despite the sadz. I am thankful for new reasons to smile every day, especially when I do not get things right on the first try...like a dog (or cat???) sweater that must be knit twice, and even then is not really appreciated!

Find your merry and bright, and try to live there most of the time.

Above all else, do what you love when you can, and do it in Good Heatlh!

Thanks for stopping by, and Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas to you, and may you find joy in unexpected places this special season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today is my kid's dad's birthday. We're still in disbelief over what happened. I understand those sad days. Tomorrow my son and I will go to church then my other kids will come over to his house to celebrate Christmas. My son works in a hospital and was very grateful to get Christmas Eve off. May you and your family enjoy the blessing and peace that go with Christmas.

    ReplyDelete