Saturday, August 15, 2015

Baby Steps

One thing they've told me, time and again, is that healing is going to take baby steps forward...and it has. But even though it seems to me that my progress is slow, I know that I am healing well, and I am grateful for that. :)

I'm slowly transitioning from the walker 

to a cane, as I am able. 

I am more able in the morning and early afternoon, and with a fresh dose of painkillers, but I am more and more able to walk more and more with the cane each day. I am also trying to walk a little more, and sit a little less, with each day, and I am feeling pretty strong most of the time!

Still, I sit a lot, and I am not back to work quite yet, so the knitting (and the cats) have been a very appreciated addition to my days at home. 

As with my hip, my knitting seems to be taking baby steps along the way. My big accomplishment seems to be hat knitting, with one in worsted cotton

and one in fingering wool finished this week.

Simple knitting, stuff I can do with my eyes closed (which happens occasionally, to be sure - the naps do tend to ambush me following physical therapy!), but satisfying projects that become finished objects, nonetheless. So satisfying that I have now cast on a simple pair of stripey socks as well, and I am looking forward to seeing them fly from my needles!

That's the thing about progress...sometimes you can see it, like in a newly finished object, bound off and gifted to a thankful recipient. Other times, you just trust that progress is there, sight unseen...as I trust that my hip is improving when I can make it all the way around the block without stopping to rest, taking in the sights of my lovely little neighborhood along the way!

Long story short (too late, I know), the hip is doing well, I am doing well, and I am thankful for each day that I open my eyes and take a breath, even if I'm in pain. There's too much life to be lived, and pain is often part of that life, so I might as well keep on putting one foot in front of the other. I hope that you are doing the same, and that you are also finding some joy in the journey of this life!

Thanks for stopping by, and knit in good health!

No comments:

Post a Comment