Saturday, October 20, 2018

What's Your Sign?

Signs are good. Signs tell us where to go, and sometimes when to go there. Signs tell us to stop and turn or keep on keepin' on. We are all looking for a sign at some point. 

Working in a church, I notice church signs. Some are clever and some are tired. Some are both at the same time. Have you seen this one?

C H _ _ C H
What's missing?

At one time, that was fresh, new and innovative, and in some communities, it may still be. In the suburbs of Cleveland, it is a little tired. Still, I get the sentiment, and I appreciate the effort of the local church, trying to reach out to share the message that Jesus is for everyone. It is sometimes a difficult message to share in 21st century America.

There is a church that I pass 5 days a week, on my way to and from work. They are an older church (I once attended a service there) with a shiny, new, electronic sign. They have two messages on their sign this October:

Satan is a sick trick! 
and
Jesus is the real treat!

Let me start by saying that these two statements are not false. However, every time I drive past, I kind of want to stop in and ask the pastor how that is an effective use of signage resources. How does it really affect our community? Do people come in from the street and ask, "What does your sign mean?," and then stick around to learn about Jesus, or do they just keep driving? Are new people coming in at all?

There is an electronic sign at my church, and I change the messages as necessary. I will not be putting any kitsch-y, quirky messages on that sign. I stick to service times, event details, and thinking questions, like "What are you reading?" Our sign should reflect that we care about our community, and would like to invite everyone inside, that we want to meet you and learn more about you. Just like Jesus, we want to share with you the love that has the power to change the outlook of any life. Our church's message is that Jesus is for everyone, like most Christian churches...but if people never come inside (whether they attend a church service or a rummage sale, craft fair or community event) how will they ever know that? 

As a follower of Jesus, and an active member of my local Christian church, I sometimes struggle with the signs that I see my brothers and sisters in Christ holding. I struggle with the signs I hold up in my day-to-day life...not physical signs, with boldly lettered messages, but the signs people see when they watch how I live. How often do I hold up signs that say I am too tired or busy to care? Too unreliable to help? Too full of my own drama to welcome and comfort a friend? 

I am embarrassed to say that I do hold up those signs, and I know it. I want to hold up the signs that say, " I have hope that I can share with you. Can I help make your day better? I want to be your friend. I have found a really good thing, and I want to show you," but I too often let the circumstances of my life dictate signs that say, "I am stressed. I am tired. I can not take one more thing." I confess this daily, and accept God's forgiveness, and then I try to do better. Hopefully I do better today than I did yesterday, and hopefully my signs are not so cheesy that potential friends are just driving past without a second glance.

JOHN 3:16

Again, true and concise, the gospel message in just a few words.* But how many  friends who have zero church experience look that up after the game?  

What kind of signs catch your attention? What kind of signs are you holding up? Who is affected by your message, whatever it might be, and is there anything you would like to change about that? If yes, you can. It is not easy to change direction, and it will not be quick, but you can do it. I did, and I continue to tweak my direction daily. With Jesus as the focus of my life, and a little help from my friends, I get by pretty well. 

I hope you are getting by pretty well today, friends, and that you have found the signs that give you positive direction in your life. 

Thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health.

*John 3:16 - For God so loved the world [that's you and me and everyone, for all time] that he gave his one and only Son [God had one kid, who was also God, and the Father gave that kid up] so that whoever believes in him [Jesus] would never die [die=be separated from God] but have eternal life [with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit in Heaven]. (All the words in brackets are mine. There is so much more to this message, even when life is hard...especially when life is hard. Ask me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment