Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Stripe Therapy

This is the first of a pair of socks I started knitting with broken fingers. I called them Stripe Therapy because they are striped, and because the doctor said that knitting was good physical therapy. He was right! Working with the tiny needles has been really good for increasing the mobility of my fingers as they heal. I still get crampy, and I have to take breaks, but I am almost back to my pre-broken-finger knitting speed...Yay!!! (I have actually knit them both now, but this is the only picture I could find when I started to blog today...bad blogger...lol!) 

Lately, things at the Pretty house have been rough...sometimes life is like that, you know? Anyway, it's nothing we won't get through, but we've been super stressed...so we decided to cope by taking a quick trip to see Peanut. :) We hopped in the car early Friday morning, and on the way, I knit her a sock to match my Stripe Therapy. These little socks are notsomuch physical therapy, but more like emotional therapy I think...and this sock did it's job for many hours in the car.

However, when we got there, I found that the sock did not fit! 
Oh the woe of a sock that won't go 
Over the toe and the heel.
I had knit and knit, but it it just didn't fit- 
I feared losing my sock knitting zeal!

So I did the only natural thing, and I knit another little sock just a little bit bigger. I finished just before we left...

...and it fits! Hip! Hip! Hooray!!!

More emotional stripe therapy on the Sunday car ride home, and I had the second sock ready to mail back to Peanut. Since I had left the first one behind, I told her that she would soon get some mail...Mindy told me that she likes to get the mail, so I think it's a very good plan. :)

I also decided to leave the big socks behind for Mindy, so Peanut and her mommy can have matching tootsies this fall! Sock knitting is so therapeutic that I even cast on another pair immediately when we got home (well, after I unpacked, showered, ate, started some laundry and went through the mail...) Then we fell into bed, and the Pretties dreamed dreams of a curly, blonde Peanut until Monday morning. 

It was a good weekend, and now I am up to my elbows again in work and in stress. Life is just like that sometimes. That's why I have my knitting with me just about 24/7 these days...it's the best anti-anxiety medication ever, and it's my sedative of choice.

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope that your days are as stress free as they can be. If they are not, I hope at least that you are Knitting in Good Health!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry about the stress, but how cool that you got to see your granddaughter! Amazing the power of the little ones to make everybody happy.

    ReplyDelete