Saturday, June 15, 2013

Left leg. Lazy lion licks a lollipop.

I know. That's a weird title. And why is my first picture a pair of shoes?

Well, let's back up the train a little...say, about 6 weeks. Wait, let's go back even farther.

Do you remember when you learned to read? The first time you looked at a book, without your mom, or dad, or brother, or teacher...you opened that book, and YOU read the words...and it was MAGIC! Or, at least, that's how it was for me! I even remember that most of my first books were of the Dr. Seuss variety, and I have clear faves from my childhood...like this one:
That Marco had quite the imagination! 
I LOVED that book, with it's simple and colorful illustrations, and I often wished that I could see such spectacles on my way to and from school! I still own my childhood copy, and while my children didn't love this classic as much as I did, I am holding out hope that perhaps Peanut and I will share it as a favorite someday...I've even bought the app!

I read a LOT as a kid, and I had many favorite books. Some might even say that I was a lazy kid, much preferring a quiet corner and a good book to a game of tag, or kickball, or a bike ride, or anything that did not include reading. The adults in my life were all so impressed that I loved to read, none of them insisted that I just go out and play sometimes...so I didn't. I grew up "fluffy" and uncoordinated, and I've been pretty content with that for most of my life.

Another of my favorite Seuss books (which became more of a favorite as I taught the kids to read) is Dr. Seuss's ABCs...but it's not just a favorite book, I have a favorite letter, the letter "L." It stands for "Little Lola Lopp. Left leg. Lazy lion licks a lollipop." Wait! That's me! I'm lazy and I LOVE lollipops! Little Lola Lopp should be my BFF!"

When our own kids were small, Sweetie would handle all the playtime. I was often there, even if I was on the sidelines...after all, someone had to be there to capture the fun on camera, and be ready with a band-aid, just in case...but I am decidedly play-challenged. It's never good when Mom knocks the toddler over with the ball or frisbee, or if she can't remember what "ghost man on first!" means.  Mind you, I do know how to have fun, but I would never be mistaken for a "player," not in any situation! I'd still usually rather sit and knit, or read, or do something quiet than go outside to run and play, or bike, or even play corn hole. Severely play-challenged.

So, imagine my shock and surprise when I decided that I'd like to be a runner. Whaaat??? But I'm the lazy one...that's my whole identity! And, if you think I was shocked, you should have seen Sweetie's face. As a matter of fact, we were out running one day, and a neighbor spotted us. She was shocked beyond words for a moment, then asked Sweetie, "How did you do it? How did you get Pretty to run???"

He answered, "Well, I planted a tiny seed 25 years ago..."

But seriously, I just want to be healthy. To that end, I have recently (in the last 3-4 years) overcome my aversion to the out-of-doors, with its dirt and bugs and uncontrollable temperatures, and I have even started to enjoy long walks in the park. Our walks are usually somewhere between 3 - 7 miles, depending on the time we have and where we walk. But lately, I've noticed that my whole family runs, and I guess I was feeling left out, so I started a C25K (Couch to 5K) program for beginner runners six weeks ago. I bought good shoes (pictured above, with neon green laces) and some breathable running clothes, and I stepped off (with the coaching of Sweetie, Snake and Dollface).

In week 1 of the nine-week program, I was running in 60 second intervals, walking in between the runs, and it was hard. Every step and every breath was hard, but I've kept at it, and yesterday I ran for 25 minutes without stopping or walking at all! I'm not sure how far I ran, but I think it must have been a tiny bit over 2 miles...pretty impressive for someone who couldn't run to the end of her (very short) driveway without passing out 6 weeks ago! (Thank you here, to Dollface, Snake and especially Sweetie, for your encouragement and advice...without you, I would have quit long ago! I love you guys!)

So there you have it. Am I still lazy? Mostly, I suppose...my favorite hobbies are still yarn and craft related, with little to no exercise involved. But, like a lazy lion with a lollipop, I know I could drop that sucker and run...if I want to. You know what? Don't tell anyone, but I think I am even starting to like it a little. I mean, about halfway through my run yesterday, Sweetie asked how I was feeling. I think I barked at him, "Like crap! How do you think I'm feeling?," between my huffs and puffs. But then I started to pay attention to how I was really feeling...and I don't think I really felt that bad. I mean, for the last 5 minutes I was really struggling, but up until then, I think I did feel ok. And afterwards...well, there just is no describing how I feel after I run (and after I catch my breath)...then I feel AMAZING! I felt so amazing after last night's run that I celebrated with some knitting!

What are you celebrating today? Even if it's just that you opened your eyes this morning, take some time to celebrate, and also to Knit in Good Health!

1 comment:

  1. You are the inspiration I need to get started on that program. Thank you. I too was a reader. My English teacher said she'd never had a student read as much as I did because I liked it.

    ReplyDelete