Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Knitting Mittens and Thanking God...

First things first, and according to the title, the first thing is mittens. After that bulky afghan, I have moved onto the smaller projects for summer, and one of those projects is mittens for Peanut! Here they are...

Aren't they CUTE?!? And yes, I have mittens on my desk at work. Doesn't everyone? I won't see Peanut's hands again for a few weeks, so I'm just carrying them around with me everywhere...and that is not weird, get it? Not weird at all. Really.

Now that this pair of mittens is finished, I am already planning another pair in my head. I still have to check the stash to see what yarn I already have...I guess I might have to go shopping...I'll let you know. Now, on to Part 2 of that title...

Remember how I told you that I've started running? Remember how I said that I am uncoordinated, and I was probably the most surprised at my decision to start running? I don't think I ever told you about the falling down though...you see, I fall down. I have fallen down while walking, while going down the stairs, while going up the stairs, even while standing still. I fall down like it's my job some days...and I've been kindof living in fear of my first fall while running since I started this whole adventure, but I'm not waiting for that first fall anymore!

On Friday, I got my Saturday blog post all ready to go (I work ahead sometimes), changed into my running shoes, and out I went for a 25 minute run with Sweetie. Seven minutes into the run...well, I am guessing 7 minutes, I kinda lost track of time...seven minutes in, I kissed the sidewalk. Tripped on who-knows-what, pitched forward and landed on my face... I broke a tooth...

...and my glasses...

...because that's what I landed on.

"So, where's the 'Thanking God' part in that, Pretty???"

I'm really glad that you asked, because I didn't see it at first either. But when I fell, I never even put my arms forward. Sweetie was behind me, and I pitched forward, so he was powerless to do anything to break my fall. I landed on the concrete, on my face, with all I had...like it was my job...and all I got was a broken tooth and broken glasses...no broken face, no black eye (just a tiny cut where my glasses hit my face, and an itty-bitty bruise on my chin that is almost gone now), some little scrapes on my hands and chest where I may have "skidded" into the grass at the edge of the sidewalk...nothing else!

When I got up off that sidewalk, I had to shake off the stunned, and I will not lie to you, I was a little shook for awhile. I cried. Sweetie surveyed the damage, there was a little blood, but all of my limbs worked, and I was fine. We walked home where I cleaned up, calmed down and called the dentist, who made arrangements to fix my tooth Saturday morning.

Aside: I don't know if I've said this before, but I love my dentists! They are the best in normal circumstances, and better than that in special circumstances! Just look at her handiwork:

It was after the dental repair, and after I'd ordered new glasses, that I really started to thank God for taking care of me when life had dealt me such a blow. But it wasn't until Sunday morning, while I was in church singing and praising Him, that I really grasped the whole of it. You see, it must have been the hand of God himself that reached out and caught me before my face hit that sidewalk. I didn't catch me, Sweetie didn't catch me, and I was RUNNING...a middle-aged, uncoordinated, "fluffy" woman, running...yet I am totally ok! No emergency room visits, no visible injuries, nothing! I even went back out on Friday night and ran that 25 minutes after I called the dentist and found some spare specs! I've always heard and read about the mighty right hand of God, and I am pretty sure that I fell on my face, squarely into that hand last Friday. I didn't even know it was there...

Thanks God, for catching me. I don't know why you did it, you've got bigger fish to fry for sure, but I'm grateful to you for keeping me from harm last Friday night. I don't know what's in store for me from here on out, but I'm going to give You the glory in all my victories because I know that I am fearfully and wonderfully made* in Your image.** And even though I sometimes fall down like it's my job, thank you for always picking me up and sending me in the right direction, so that I can be doing the things you have prepared for me to do in this life.*** You are good, all the time. Praise God!

So, there you have it. I am knitting mittens and thanking God this week. I wonder what kind of mitten yarn I have left in the stash...

I hope that you are having a good week, and that you are Knitting in Good Health!

*Psalm 139:14     **Genesis 1:27     ***Ephesians 2:10

7 comments:

  1. OMGosh, that's exactly what happened to me last year. Except I was walking and I did put my hands out. I scraped 3 of my teeth on the sidewalk and knocked a chip out of one them. Dr. Shuba got me fixed up the same day. My hands and nose were skinned a bit, but I was amazed I didn't break my nose, or glasses and didn't bite through my lip or anything.

    I'm glad you're okay. That's scary stuff.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Who knew that falling down was so common? Glad you're ok, too! Did you know that we share a dentist? lol! She's GREAT!

      Delete
  2. So glad you're okay!

    My son did that to a front tooth right after his permanent tooth had grown in--he was playing with his sister's friend's big brother's (got that? Big kid toy he wasn't supposed to be near) skateboard just long enough to fall off while the two moms' backs were turned.

    Good dentists are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy you are ok Pam! I will praise Our Heavenly Father with you!!!

    ReplyDelete