Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hot to trot!

Hmmm, maybe I should rethink that post title. . .but how can I?!? Check out my new socks, a friend's beautiful pattern (Lace Medallion Socks) in Destination Yarn, colorway Bonfire. . .they are HOT, HOT, HOT!!!, (and on my feet, they will trot, trot, trot!).But wait!, there's more! In the rush of finishing these socks, and crocheting an afghan for a friend's wedding last week, I also had a tiny breakdown in the yarn purchasing department of my brain. . .you know, the part of my brain that reminds me regularly how much yarn I currently have stashed about my tiny house. . .the same part of my brain that reminds me that yarn is not a good toy for a baby, and that yarn in-and-of-itself is not a "fine gift" for every single person I know. . . Yeah, that part was apparently broken, because I bought this: That's right, behold the giant box o'bulky, acrylic yarn!!! I needed an entire box of bulky acrylic yarn (really, no really, I DID!) because Dollface, Wifey-Poo and Peanut need warm hats and scarves for the cold that is surely coming to our corner of the world. Dollface was up first. . .she wanted a hat that was roomy enough to fit not only her ample idea-factory, but also that full bun she piles on her brain to keep the hair outta her face every day. . .but after I finished the hat (the first time), and she put it on, we all decided that it was too small. . . Sooo, we tried the hat on another noggin, just for kicks. . ."Take it off, Gramma! This hat is too big for Peanut!," said the smartest baby on the planet, my granddaughter.In true knitterly fashion, I took the hat from the baby, and I ripped back the crown (even the cutie-patootie, little bobble at the top), and I added more rows to contain the whole of her head and hair to make it a just right fit (I hope!). I haven't had the chance yet to try it on Dollface, but I did find a willing model for both the hat and the scarf this morning. . .what d'ya think?For the most part, I am pleased with this set, and I think my Dolly Draft Dodger is as well. (She says she needs a scarf and hat because dodging winter drafts is cold work!) Here are a couple of closer shots of the hat and the scarf to help you see the wonderful texture of the yarn (Northland Snowfall). It's a three ply, with one white chenille-y strand and two hairy brown strands. There is a slight halo, and both pieces are quite fluffy! If you look at the picture closely, you can see that I used different size needles for each piece. . .10.5US (6.5mm) for the hat, and 13US (9mm) for the scarf. I wanted the hat to be a tighter knit, to help keep some of the wind out, but to also still be pretty fluffy. . .the scarf is really fluffy! Overall, I am pleased with how both pieces turned out, and I even have a little yarn leftover! I think Dolly Draft Dodger likes them, too!
I wonder how I will pry them off to give them to Dollface. . .oh well, I guess that's a worry for another day. Also, for another day, I hope to write up the pattern for this hat and reversible cable scarf. . .but not today. This day is for knitting, and I hope that you get some knitting time today as well. :o)

Thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health!

No comments:

Post a Comment