One of the cookies my aunt used to make for Christmas every year was a very green holly cookie, with "red hot" berries on them. I always loved them as a kid, so one year I asked her how she makes them. Turns out, it's super simple! If you've ever made rice crispy treats (or even thought about making them), these are right up your alley. =D
---- ---- 1/2 c. butter or margarine
---- ---- 4c. mini marshmallows
---- ---- green food coloring
---- ---- 6c. corn flake cereal
---- ---- cinnamon candies (hearts or "red hots")
- In a large pot, melt butter over low heat.
- Slowly mix in marshmallows and stir until melted.
- When everything is smooth, add green food coloring (it takes more than you think), and mix until the color is uniform. Remove from heat.
- Add cereal and mix until everything is well coated.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper lined cookie sheets and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Store at room temperature in airtight container, between sheets of wax paper.
Now you have a lovely cookie to decorate your Christmas cookie trays and tins as you share sweets with your friends for the holidays! They are pretty, and super yummy, and I've never met someone who can resist these sweet holly bunches. :)