Saturday, April 1, 2017

No Foolin'!

They say it's my birthday! Happy birthday to me! 

No foolin', it IS my birthday. It is not a milestone year, but it is the celebration of another year, and I have much to be thankful for. For instance, when I asked Sweetie if there were any plans for Saturday, his answer was, "Well, I was going to take you yarn shopping..." What a guy! It has been a rough year, or two, or three...and there were a couple of times that I doubted him...and us. But here we are, and it is good. I am so thankful that we stuck it out...again. (PS - Maybe I should rethink the yarn shopping? Nope...there is no such thing as too much yarn, right?)

I am also thankful to have a lovely group of ladies I can let my hair down with. Some are knitters, some are church friends, and some go all the way back to my school days! I am a firm believer in the power of community, and the friends that surround me are the best kind of community...reserving judgement and offering sympathetic ears at just the right time. They celebrate and commiserate with me, and they are not afraid to get a little silly every so often...or more often than not!

I am thankful to live in an age of technology that lets me keep in touch with family and friends in real time, with and without video! Facebook, Ravelry, Facetime and Skype keep me connected in ways I never could have imagined 30 years ago. I can actually see where Peanut lost that tooth...I can see and hear the meltdown when Sweet Pea shouts "My talk!" and grabs the phone...I can say happy birthday to someone far away, and share a photo of cake...I can sympathize with one friend and celebrate with another...I can keep in touch with my cousins, my first childhood friends...I can even pray "in person" with a good friend without either of us leaving the house! 

Knitting is something I am more thankful for every time I have to take a significant break from it...like if I break a bone (or three) in my hand! The fidgets get to me when I cannot knit, and playing with yarn keeps me centered. It is so much more than making...knitting time is prayer time for the person I am making for; working stitches helps me work through difficult decisions; stitching things together pairs well with deep thought, contemplation and even meditation. Yes, knitting centers me. Knitting is a priority, because I spend my knitting time prioritizing so many other things.

My highest priority, and the one thing I am most thankful for, is my relationship with God through Jesus. He is the way, the truth and the life (John 14:6), and knowing Him has changed my life. I still have trouble and struggle daily with all kinds of things. But I do not question this: Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God, and he is my Lord and Savior. I am thankful that he came as a baby, grew into a Teacher, and finally gave His own life for mine.

I am thankful that I will not get what I deserve at the end of this lifetime, because Jesus died, was buried, and on the third day rose again (1 Cor 15:4). Because he died that death, I will not get what I deserve. My own sinful nature dictates that I deserve an eternity separated from God. But along with Jesus, my sin also died on the cross, so that I may look forward to an eternity with God. That's a pretty sweet deal, and I am excited to celebrate Easter again this year, just a couple of weeks after my birthday!

For me, Easter is more than bunnies and eggs (although I also celebrate with both of those...and candy).

I am thankful that I can celebrate another year of my life, and another Easter. You'll likely find me shopping for yarn and knitting today, and maybe heading out with Sweetie for a celebratory meal. How will you spend April Fools' Day? I hope you will find something to be thankful for today, and every day!

Thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health!

1 comment:

  1. So much to be thankful for, and I'm thankful for you my friend!

    ReplyDelete