Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Experimental Sweater

Sometimes when I knit, I like to have a pattern to tell me what to do next. But sometimes, especially when I am stash-diving to use up previously purchased yarn for my next project, I am unsuccessful in locating a pattern that will make what I want to make with the amount of any given yarn that I happen to have on hand. It is at this point that I start to experiment...as I have with my Six Dollar Experimental Sweater.

I bought the yarn (Bobby Jean, by Loops & Threads, sadly discontinued) on an expedition to Michael's at some point in the not too distant past...I am sure it has been less than two years. I only found 6 skeins in this color (priced at just under $1 each in the clearance bin), so my yardage is limited, but I'd like something tunic length. This means no sleeves, and I am good with that, but I was quite unsuccessful in finding a pattern that I really wanted to start.

Sooo, I looked up my favorite pattern generator (by KnittingFool.com), and chose the correct size...but my guage was off at 4.5sts/in, rather than 5sts/in. Not that I made a gauge swatch, mind you, but I know my general gauge with worsted or light worsted on size 8 needles, so I made an assumption which turned out to be not half bad! 9 inches into the body of the thing, my gauge is indeed 4.5sts/in! Go me!

If the math holds up, and considering that I was at 9 inches before the second skein was finished, I should be ok. I will need about 18 inches before I split for the armholes, so I should get there in 4 skeins, and this will leave me with 2 skeins for the upper front and back (another 8-9 inches, but fewer stitches), plus a little border around the armholes and neckline...cross your fingers! This one is going to be a bit of a crap-shoot! lol! Stay tuned, and I promise to report the results, win or lose...I promise! Who knows? Maybe I am secretly a designer...

Have you done any experimental knitting? How did it turn out? Will you do it again?

Yes or no, good or bad, yes or no...thanks for stopping by! I wish you all the best in your knitting, and also that you will Knit in Good Health!

No comments:

Post a Comment