Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Recipe for Crisp, Fall Yumminess

I've fallen for apples! No, really! I have! So much so that Mr. Pretty and I went apple picking on Sunday. Dorky Pretty did not remember her camera, but we picked two baskets full, and then I came home and promptly made my first apple crisp...ever! It was so very good that I have to share! I mean, just look at the picture...

Are you drooling? I'm drooling again, even though I've indulged for the past three nights in a row! (Good thing we walked 7 miles on Sunday, too!) The recipe is bits and bobs of several recipes (pies, cobblers, crisps) I've used and/or looked at over the years, and here it is!

Apple-Pie Crisp
For the Apple-Pie part: 
     Peel and slice up enough apples to cover the bottom of a 9"x 13" pan (I did 6 or 7 medium apples)
     2-3 T lemon juice
     3/4 c sugar
     1 tsp. ground cinnamon (more or less, to taste)
     1 T cold butter (use butter, the real stuff, trust me)

For the Crisp part:
     1/2 c oatmeal, uncooked
     1/2 c flour
     3/4 c brown sugar
     1 tsp ground cinnamon
     1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
     6 T cold butter (again, use the real stuff!)

1. Preheat oven to 375°F.

2. Using extra butter, or non-stick cooking spray (I'd always use butter, it's better!) grease the bottom and sides of your pan well.

3. Peel and slice enough apples to cover the bottom of your pan. Toss in a bowl with lemon juice, then with sugar and cinnamon, until all are evenly coated. Pour into greased pan. Cut up 1 T butter, and place evenly on top of apples.

4. Mix together oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, then cut in butter with a pastry blender (or two knives) until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Evenly sprinkle over apples.

5. Bake at 375°F for 30-40 minutes (watch closely at the end, so as not to burn your crisp)

6. Scoop into serving bowls as soon as you can get it out of the pan without burning yourself, and add a generous scoop of premium vanilla ice cream (if you're into that kindof thing), and enjoy!

Oh, and because this is a knitting blog, here's a little tease of another secret project!

Thanks for stopping by, friends! I hope that you are enjoying some cooler weather, and maybe doing a little baking, too! 

Knit in Good Health (as soon as you have some of that apple crisp)!

No comments:

Post a Comment