Saturday, January 15, 2011

Fun and Games

Before we start today's post, let me remind you that there is a Pretty Knitty Contest underway! We will wait while you go to check out that linky. . .

Good, you're back! I trust that you entered, and Good Luck to you! Now, on to the post!

Suppose for a moment, just suppose, that you live in a snowglobe. . .like this:


What is one to do when the warm weather wanes and this white stuff takes it's place?!? Well, yarn (and knitting, duh!) is one option. . .

. . .sewing for a granddaughter yet to be born is another (especially since I bought some fabric last week). . .
. . .but, with Snake in the family, . . .
. . .the option we chose was MONOPOLY!
I don't know how long it has been since Sweetie played Monopoly, . . .
. . .and I am sure that it hasn't been very long for College Girl (who has played with Snake and his family in the not-too-distant past), . . .
. . .but for me, it has been years upon years! Sweetie and I played Monopoly Jr. with College Girl and Army Boy when they were wee ones, but regular Monopoly?. . .not since before I had a sweetie for sure! Monopoly, for me, is one of those memories that is unique to my family. I don't think I ever played at home, or with my friends, but my cousins and I enjoyed the game at our Grandparents' house from time to time. . .We would set up lovely neighborhoods on a card table in the basement, and we would play until the oldest cousins had all of the properties, and all of the money, and all of the houses. . .and the younger cousins were finished paying rent to their tyrannical landlords! Even though I wasn't one of the oldest of the cousins, and even though I don't think I have ever come close to winning a game of Monopoly (I generally do better at word games than at math games), I remember Monopoly as being a lot of fun. . .it's more about the time in Grandma & Grandpa's basement, playing board games and running around the big, ancient furnace with cousins I got to see fairly often, but never often enough. . .it's more about leftover pizza from a family reunion, and fresh spaghetti that was always on the stove when we visited this magical home. . .it's more about the bonds that were formed long ago, and have been re-established recently through Facebook and the common Christmas card. Monopoly is just one of those memories that reminds me of the ties that bind family together. . .even after all 8 of us grandkids have grown up and moved on into our adult lives.

So last weekend, while we were living in a snowglobe, Snake and Sweetie and College Girl and I took a little walk through an old, but familiar, neighborhood. . .
. . .and we had a pretty good time. . .until the giants caused some of us to roll over and play dead, forcing us out of the game as only tyrannical landlords can!
Still, it was a good time, and I think we will play again. . .and perhaps someday, when they have grown up and moved away, Snake and College Girl will remember the games we have played with a fondness that speaks "family" to them, too.

Until then, I will knit and sew, and play games with family, making memories while my world is blanketed by snow. I hope that you are making memories with your family, too!

Thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health!

No comments:

Post a Comment