Saturday, November 9, 2019

Family Friends, Faith and Donuts

When I was a little girl, I had some very special friends. One of these lived in my town, but not super close to my house, so a play date meant getting Mom to drive me to her house. On summer and weekend visits, I sometimes snuck my PJs in with my toys, in hopes of extending the visit to a sleepover...the phone call went something like this:

"Mom, can I spend the night at Kathie's house?"
"Well, I'm very busy, and I can't stop right now to bring your pajamas."
"That's ok. I brought my PJs and toothbrush!"
"(stunned silence...)"

In truth, and to be fair to moms everywhere (who are NOT idiots), I am sure she was not stunned after the first couple times. Still, she remained silent for a moment, probably trying to gauge whether the other mom and dad were ok with having that extra kid overnight. 

"Well, if Kathie's parents don't mind..."
"They don't mind! Thanks Mom!!! (click!, before she could change her mind) I can stay!!!"

After some years, Kathie and I even started started referring to our moms as "Mom" and "Other Mom." Our moms were friends, too, and I felt perfectly at home in both houses. It was especially fun when I stayed at Kathie's on a Saturday night, because I got to go to church, and there were donuts after! As a kid, I thought the donuts were one of the best parts of the visit. Looking back, there was something far more important on those Sunday mornings.

I went to church with my mom most Sundays, but at our church, I never felt connected to God. I could get to Him, I was told, if I went through the priest and memorized the right prayers. But Kathie's church is where I first learned about a personal relationship with Jesus. When I finally went in search of that relationship, at the age of 27, it was that kind of church I wanted to be a part of. I am so thankful to Kathie and her parents for loving me and welcoming me into their family, even during my awkward years, helping to build the foundation for my faith today.

Last month, Kathie's dad passed away, and it feels like I've lost a spiritual parent. Her dad was not as involved in our childhood shenanigans as her mom, and I was not particularly close to him, but today I am so appreciative of the man he was...of the way he modeled what a man could be in my life. I am sure that he was not perfect, even though I don't remember witnessing his flaws...but he was a good man, a godly man, and a great example to me. 

Today, Kathie and her family have had one last goodbye to their dad, husband, grandfather, uncle and an all-around great guy. I was able to stop in for visiting hours, and it was great to see and hug them all again. But I know that my visit is just a small part of this day...so I wanted to take a moment here to leave some words of thanks for Kathie's dad, Frank Koci:

Thank you for being committed to Christ and to your family. 
Thank you for sharing your home, your food and your time with me.
Thank you for living your faith in a way that showed me that dads do love Jesus.
Thank you for loving your wife and children, and the extra kids who showed up on Saturday night...PJs in hand.
Thank you for raising a daughter who has loved me through thick and thin, because she learned that love never fails from you.
Thank you for never saying, "What? Pam again? Doesn't that kid have her own home?"
Thank you for taking me to church and being part of my introduction to Jesus.

I suppose it goes without saying that I am also thankful to Kathie's mom, the "other mom" of my childhood, for all of this and for the fun times and good conversations we had in your kitchen through the years. I am a little sad that adults don't pack a set of PJs and plan "impromptu," Saturday-night sleepovers. If we did, I would pick your house...because friends are friends forever, if the Lord's the Lord of them.

Kathie, Betty, David, Bob, extended family and all of you who have come along since we stopped having sleepovers, I offer my condolences and prayers because I know that Frank will be missed. I also look forward with you to the day when we all get to heaven. What a day of rejoicing that will be!

Blog friends, if you have In-Real-Life friends like Kathie and her family, treasure them and the memories you have made together. And if you do not, may I introduce you to Jesus? He wants you know that he has people here who are just waiting to welcome you into the family, and he is eager to welcome you into a relationship with him. He invited me with donuts and a second family.

Thanks for stopping by, and if you knit, Knit in Good Heath!

No comments:

Post a Comment