Saturday, November 3, 2018

Three Stages of Bacon

This morning, after preparing a pomegranate for my sweet hubby, I decided to also make the bacon that has been in the fridge for a couple weeks. You see, I have had a rough week, and I am sure that he has put up with more bad attitude than normal. I feel really bad about that, and I wanted to make it up to him a little...so, today is a bacon day.

As the bacon was sizzling, and I was doing my best to not let it burn (no judgement, please...bacon is tricky), I started to think about the three stages of bacon. 

Bacon in the package does not do anything for me. I see the bacon, but cannot smell it. I think about the mess it will make if I cook it, and I move on. Cold bacon is slimy and a little bit icky even. Bacon in the package is inert to me.

Bacon in the pan, however, affects me. The smell, the sizzle, the sight of the fat browning slowly...bacon in the pan gives me a shiver. Bacon in the pan is just a little bit dangerous. Not too scary, but it will burn you if you are not careful. Bacon in the pan makes me stand up and take notice of life as I look forward to its salty goodness!

Bacon on the plate is comforting. Still a little bit dangerous (if you eat all the bacon, every time...well, heart attack!) but definitely not as dangerous as the bacon in the pan. You know it is going to be good, even if it is a little bit overcooked! Bacon on the plate will not make anything catch fire, in the literal sense, but it lights a fire under Sweetie on a Saturday morning!

In the end, leftover bacon on the plate goes back to the fridge, where I often forget about it. Chilled bacon is just as yummy as hot bacon, especially in a good salad. Even so, for me bacon in the fridge is once again inert and forgettable.

All this thinking about bacon got me to thinking about life. It's like that for everyone, right? (Lie to me. I need to not be alone in this. Bacon is pretty big in my life.)

So right, bacon is like life. Where am I in my bacon life? Am I bacon in the package? in the pan? on the plate? Well, I know where I would like to be.

I want to be a little bit dangerous while affecting the people around me in a good way...not by burning them. I want to sizzle and smell good and brown evenly. I hope my friendships carry the aroma of encouraging words and acts of kindness. When I am really cooking in a room, I would like people to look forward to spending time with me, without worrying about the fat splatters. Someday I will be safely on the plate, or in the fridge, where the mess will not matter that much anyway.

Sure, some days I will be icky, raw bacon in the package. That is where I have been most of this week. Cranky Pretty has tried to keep it to herself, for the most part, and be inert. It has been difficult, and she has not always succeeded, which is why we had a bacon day. There was so much napping in the package!

One day, I will be bacon on the plate, or in the fridge. I will be silenced, either figuratively or literally, because nobody lives forever on this earth. What will my legacy be? Will people continue to go on, changed by the bacon stages of our lives and how they intertwined, or will they forget all about me?

I suppose it does not really matter...ashes to ashes, bacon to bacon bits, and all that jazz. But while I am here, I will keep trying to sizzle and shake things up a little, looking forward to life. How about you?

Oh, and I will knit. Mental note: keep the yarn away from the bacon...unless you want bacon-scented knits...not necessarily a bad thing...lol!

Thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health!

No comments:

Post a Comment