Saturday, May 12, 2018

Dogpile

I've been working a pattern
I've been stacking them down;
I've been stacking them up!

I have stitched them together
In blue, yellow, red-
Black noses and smiles,
Square bodies and heads.

They are cute, they are fun,
They are soon on their way-
To find a new home,
With new friends to play!

This morning, I thought to myself, "I'm going to call this post, 'Dogpile!' That will be fun, and it applies...but I think it means something." So I looked it up...

From the Free Dictionary

dog·pile

 or dog pile (dôg′pīl′, dŏg′-)Slang
n.
1. heap or cluster of people pressed closely together or piled on top of each other, as in celebration or assault.
2. In football, a heap of players that have leapt or fallen on top of a tackled ball carrier or loose football.
3. An outpouring of like-minded criticisms or retorts in response to something: the latest critic to join the dogpile condemning the new TV season.
4. deposit of dog excrement.

It is also a search engine, go figure. There were other definitions, but I am not sure I put stock in them. After all, they were not in the Free Dictionary! 

Of course, none of these definitions apply to this stack of stuffed toys that slighty resembles the idea of puppies playfully piling on top of one another! Two lessons here today friends:
  1. Check into a word you have heard before you use it freely. There may be a definition you don't know, and you could be stepping in a dogpile if you use that word in the wrong company! (I speak from experience, having used new words without checking before today...) And
  2. The Internet can be a very funny place, but don't believe everything you read there!
It has been gray here lately, but Summer is coming! I am glad that I have these bright friends around to perk me up until the sun comes back!

Thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health!

PS - Tomorrow is Mother's Day. If she is still around, call your Mom. She loves you, and  none of us is guaranteed next year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment