Saturday, February 3, 2018

Routine Post

I usually post to my blog on Saturday afternoon. But my routine includes sitting to write the post early on Saturday morning, and the same is true today. I am a woman of routine, you see, and knowing what comes next brings me great comfort and peace. 

I have always been big on routines. Perhaps this is a result of my OCD tendencies. Then again, maybe I've created a monster in myself by insisting on the ritual. The more I ponder it, the more I am convinced that it is a chicken/egg thing...I do not know which came first, but both are a part of my particular brand of crazy!

Even when I was a little girl, I loved routine. My mom often tells the story of times that I would stay with my grandparents overnight. They, wanting to spoil me, would consistently tell me I could stay up late, if I wanted to...but my reply was usually that 8 o'clock was bedtime. I don't remember it on my own, but I have heard the story enough times (and let's face it, I am still a routine gal) that I believe it happened just like that. 

When I had babies and small children, I was a slave to the routine, and so were they. Outsiders often saw this as a problem, especially when we turned down afternoon invitations in favor of our regular naptimes, but I did not. I needed to know that "down time" was coming as much as the kids did, maybe more! I needed to know that at 1pm and at 8pm there would be a break to the busy...and at 8am, noon and 5pm there would be meals...and it was blissfully like that on most days, until they were both in school. It kept me sane to know what was coming next.

Even now, I crave routine. I get up at the same time each day and sit with one or two #catonlap occupants to listen to my daily audio Bible selections, with coffee and knitting close at hand. Then I am off to work, or to do laundry (Saturdays), or go to church (Sundays), and the morning routine helps me to welcome the day. In the evenings, around 7pm, I lay out my clothes for tomorrow, pick out my jammies, and take a shower so that I can spend a couple hours sitting with my Sweetie (and usually more #catonlap and knitting) before bedtime, and this helps me to wind down and remember to be  grateful for the day.

Whatever happens in the middle of the day may not be routine. Sometimes things happen in the middle of the night that are not part of the routine. Life happens, all around me, and it is not routine. But knowing the routine is coming, or that it will return tomorrow, keeps me from going off the deep end, on most days. This is how I am wired.

I do recognize that some of you do not get this. You thrive by the seat of your pants, and you enjoy the adventure of not knowing what is coming up just around the bend. If that describes you better, do not get that! But I am glad that you know yourself so well, and that you are enjoying life! If you have people in your life that thrive on routine, try to be gentle with them. If they have a need to know what comes next, try to throw them a bone and make a plan sometimes. If they would rather sit on the couch and knit than go to a party with a bunch of people they don't know well, try to understand.

And if you are like me, a slave to the routine, try to get outside of yourself once in awhile. Adventure is scary, but it can be fun! Sometimes, even when life is not forcing you, you need to step outside the routine box and carpe diem! The routine, and your knitting, will be there tomorrow. However, if you miss opportunities to connect with people and live life abundantly, those may not come around again.

I have often heard it said, in various quotes and by assorted people, that we will not regret the things we have done. When we look back on our lives, in our golden and platinum years, the regrets will be for the things we have missed. So, enjoy your routine, or not, but try not to miss out on life. I am working on the same. Feel free to let me know (gently) if you think I am making progress. It is always so difficult to see one's own progress!

My routine says that, since I have nearly finished writing, it is time to change loads of laundry and get a second cup of coffee. I'm off to do that, and I will post this message at 3:33pm this afternoon, as per the routine. Whatever the rest of the day brings, I will be ready to embrace it! I hope that you are, too.

Thanks for stopping by, and knit in good health!

1 comment:

  1. Us routine people (yup, I'm one too) like order. The joy of reading my Bible is knowing that God has an order to all things. I may not know what the next moment will bring, but I can count on God's promises no matter what.

    ReplyDelete