Saturday, February 24, 2018

Full of Words!

I am full of words. I love to speak them, I love to hear them, I love to read them, and I love to write them! I also am a fan of spelling and grammar, though I generally keep that to myself on social media, where I die a little every time someone uses the wrong your or there. I just want to bury my face in yarn and hide from the world when that happens. 

But I digress... 

I blog because I love words, and I think it is important to leave something behind. One day, maybe sooner than I think (because you just really never know), I will not be around. I will be in a better place, to be sure, so I am not sad about that. But a vain part of me thinks that perhaps my children and grandchildren might want to know more about what made me tick, and why I knit so much. 

In truth, my words are a lot like my knitting. Everything is woven together with a common thread, and the blog is full of my stories and yarns. Each year, I print a hard copy of the blog, and I tuck it on a shelf. When I am feeling nostalgic, sometimes I'll pull a volume down (I have been blogging since 2007!) rather than searching the online blog...if I am looking for a recipe...or I want to remember exactly when that big event happened...or I just want to look at my own words and photos on the page, in black and white (and stunning technicolor!).

It is interesting to me that the yarn and the knitting and my life are all so intertwined. The things I knit are often in response to events in my life, or the lives of people around me, and sometimes my knitting brings to me great revelations about my life. Whether I am working on a simple and sturdy hat, a delicate lace shawl or an intricately cabled coffee sleeve, there is usually a parallel somewhere. Even this morning, while I was reading my bible, I came across Psalm 139...the one that says (among other things) that I am God's masterpiece, knitted and woven together by Him in my mother's womb! God put all my delicate parts together and he knows me, from the beginning, inside and out...and he gave me all the words! 

And I think a cabled coffee sleeve is impressive!

So, if God did that (knit me together, on purpose, infinitely more complicated than any cabled pattern, and gave me this love of words), is it really vanity that says my words are important to someone? I think not. Rather, God gave me something to say, and he knows if there is someone who needs to hear it, whether friend, family member, or complete stranger. As much as I love words, I do not know who will read what I put here, if they will like what I have to say, or whether anyone will really care to keep those books on the shelf when I am gone. Vanity says, "They will treasure your words, Pretty!" But reality reminds me to write for me, even if no one else ever stops by.

But today YOU stopped by, and I am so glad that you did, because I have a message for you: God knit you together, too! And He has also given you something to say! You may express your message in another way...I know not everyone loves words or wants to blog...but the important part is that you do express it. If you are not sure what your message or purpose is, look around, see what God has to show you through his Word, through nature, through the people around you, and take time to decide who you are and what you love most. When you do, I would love to hear about it!

Thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health!

1 comment:

  1. Between me and you (and the rest of the internet) I've been known to take a Sharpie marker and "fix" spelling/grammar mistakes on signs. I've never thought your blog was vanity. It's a great way to get the Word out to someone/everyone. Write on Pretty, write on :)

    ReplyDelete