Saturday, February 17, 2018

Yes...and No...

Apparently I was really inspired by that Excessive Contents class I took last week, because today has been all about throwing things away again! I did not toss everything, tho...I kept some photos I found, from the early 2000s...

Here I will apologize to Mork, Dollface and Sweetie. Also to myself. This was not a stellar hair day for me...lol! There were amateur photos as well, many from Christmas 2001, I think.

To top it all off, some materials from camp. Remember camp? I spent a week at camp every summer for nearly 10 years, I think. These were some of the craziest, funniest and most rewarding weeks of my life. I always felt a little like a superhero when I got home. Well, a superhero in need of a nap!

Kept photos and camp workbooks aside, I did say NO! to a lot of junk this morning, and throughout the week, and now this side of the basement looks like this:

I was going to reward myself with a cookie. But instead, I celebrated with a little crochet and #catonlap time with the midwives of Poplar...and a cookie! It was a very rewarding morning!

Cleaning out junk, from the house and from my heart, has made this week more exhausting than most. Still, it is good. God is good, all the time, and I am good today. I am not perfect, and I no longer aspire to be (on most days). Instead, I am working hard to recognize that there are limits to what I should expect of myself. There are limits to how much I can or should do, feel and say. These limits are as real as the walls in my house, the ones that limit how much junk I can reasonably store in my basement!

As I prioritize my life and my belongings, I am reminded of the advice to let your yes  be yes, and your no be no (Matthew 5:37). While not a direct application of the verse, in the same way that I decide what to keep and what to toss in the basement, there is a definite yes or no for each thought and emotion that I encounter...or there should be. If I do not regularly make decisions about what thoughts and emotions to keep and toss, my clogged head and heart will limit my ability to make a choice about anything. Today is a good day because today my yes is yes, and my no is no, on all levels.

I wish every day were like today. However, I am often frustrated that this yes/no lesson is one I must learn over and over again. Every time I think I have it mastered, another example pops up and smacks me right in the face. I suppose that is because I am not perfect, and never can be, this side of heaven. I have to continually remind myself to let my yes be yes, and let my no be no, at every step along the way.

Yes and no. It really is as simple as that, but it is a journey. Care to join me? We can bring our knitting and call it an adventure!

Thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health!

No comments:

Post a Comment