Saturday, March 25, 2017

Freedom Fingers

Guys! Guys! Look at this!

My fingers are free! My fingers are free! Well, not totally free, I am still supposed to wear my brace "as much as possible," according to the doc, but I can use the hand! I'm not supposed to lift anything heavier than a coffee cup, but I think most of my knitting is lighter than a coffee cup...so I am raising my white (and green and yellow) flag of dishcloth knitting 

in favor of some toy knitting!

Let me tell you that free fingers feel fantastic! But the hand is still a little sore, so I  am wearing the brace quite a bit. Some things are easier than others with one hand bound...for instance, putting on pants is fairly difficult. But I've adapted to others pretty well with just the one hand, such as typing...it is much slower, but it can be done! (FYI, I'm typing this with both hands, but I'll put that brace on for a good rest as soon as I am done here.)

Being in a cast and brace (again) has also reinforced some basic life lessons for me. In this lifetime, I often take freedom for granted. The freedom to do pretty much what I want, when I want to do it is a given for me in so many ways, but the one that matters most is my freedom in Christ. As we count down to Easter, when Christians around the world remember Jesus's sacrifice and celebrate His resurrection, I am reminded that "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free." (Galatians 5:1)

Freedom. I am so glad that I am free! Free to follow Jesus. Free to take a walk outside. Free to express myself verbally and in writing. Free to befriend the best group of knitters. Free to let them "decorate" my cast the day before it came off." Finally free to knit and shower and type with two hands. Freedom feels fine!

Do you feel free? If not, why not? What are you a slave to? Freedom in Christ is available to you, too...and if you have not found it yet, I would be happy to talk with you more about where to look. I have LOTS of words, just ask my husband! Drop me a line via email, or comment below, and I will get back to you.

In the meantime, thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health!

No comments:

Post a Comment