Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Peace Like a River

Have you ever looked for peace in your life? I went in search of peace this past weekend, at a ladies retreat. It was a last minute plan, and I wasn't sure I wanted to go, but I even paid the late-registration fee, because look what they offered me...Peace Like a River!

At first, it was hard to believe that I could find peace among more than a hundred ladies in one room (or 11, from one church, in one dorm room, sleeping on squeaky bunk beds), but it was there. After all, we were in a beautiful setting, 

with friends, new and old,

and I did bring some knitting. :) Along the way, I found peace...in prayer and quiet times, in praise and worship, and in this sock!

I actually finished the entire sock, plus the ribbing on the second, before the end of the return trip. Yes, I knitted, and I found more peace than I have known in quite awhile. Of course, then I came home...where there was NO peace from the cats. lol!

But, I kept knitting, and now I have a-sock-and-a-half to go along with my peace like a river. :)

So, let's talk about peace. Those of you who know me know that I love Jesus. (Now, if you think the rest of this blog isn't your thing, you don't have to keep reading, but you can if you want to. I promise not to tell anyone. ;o)

You know what I found to be the best part of this peaceful retreat? The speaker, Tammy Nischan, shared a verse that promises "those who sow with tears will reap with songs of joy." (Psalms 126:5-6) As a woman in the middle of life, one with lots of tears to spare, I am claiming this promise. I am fairly emotional (ask my family!), and I have occasionally hit some bumps in the road. Haven't we all? Sometimes peace is hard to come by.

As Tammy talked about the GIANT hurdles she has faced, I felt a little silly about all of the tears I've shed over things that are far less than what others have faithfully overcome. However, God made me this way, and he has seen all of my tears. He created me as an emotional woman, and he loves me. He knows each tear that I have "planted," and he has a plan to use those tears to write songs of joy in my life. And even though I have cried a lot, I also have much to sing about in my harvest... 

I have a husband who loves God, and loves me, even when I am unloveable. 
I have two children, who are all grown up, and God has provided them with spouses, jobs and the good sense to keep going, even when life gets tough. 
I have a three-year-old granddaughter who adores me and Pop-Pop, and she is healthy and strong.
I have a job that I (mostly) love, a place to lay my head at night, more than enough to eat, and friends who care deeply for me.
Most of all, I have Jesus's saving grace, grace that assures my place in Heaven when the trials of this life are over...even though I make many mistakes. Every. Single. Day.

When I find my peace, that's usually where I find it...with Jesus

I also find peace in the process of knitting. The quiet, repetition of stitch after stitch is meditative, and I love to knit where it is very quiet. Oh, don't get me wrong...I'll knit anywhere, man. I'll knit anywhere, man. But I prefer the quiet of the early morning, before any of the clutter of the day has started, for my knitting. There I can knit, and talk to God, creating something from almost nothing and finding the peace that will carry me through my day. And if I stumble along the way, you will often see me reach for God and yarn again, to bring myself back to the peace that transcends all understanding, and helps me to just keep going. Thank you to the ladies who put together a simple retreat that reminded to look for God's peace every day. 

Where do you find peace? 

1 comment: