Saturday, September 24, 2011

Thursday

These "religious" posts are few and far between, but today I just need to tell you about something that happened at work this week. Mine is a pretty tame job, without much excitement on most days. But on some days. . .well, some days I just want to shout from the rooftops. . .read on!

(By the way, I do not mean to "thump" anything at anybody with this post. However, I am a church secretary and a Christian, I do share the opinions expressed in this blog, and I do believe that Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. I also believe that God wants nothing more than to have a life-saving relationship with all of his children, no matter who they are or what they have done in this lifetime.)

A young man came into the church about 10:30am this past Thursday, and he asked if he could just pray. Knowing that the equipment on stage is not cheap stuff, after I let him into the worship center, I let our worship guy know he was in there, and I left all the doors open so I could hear any "funny business" that might happen. After a few minutes, Music Man walked by my office and went in to meet the young man (I’ll call him José for the blog).

For the next hour (at least), Music Man and José battled for the young man's soul. . .talking, praying, reading and discussing scripture. . .and I saw José leave through the front doors. Music Man came back and sat down in my office, and through his tears he told me some of José's story. . .


José had just been fired from his job. His involvement with spiritists, fortune tellers and other "spiritual" activities had left him unable to sleep for at least the last several days, and the reason he had lost his job was his inability to function on what little sleep he had gotten. He knew that he needed God, but wasn't sure what to do about it. As he drove past this church on this morning, he said God told him to pull in. (This is usually where the average con would make a request for money, or work boots or something, but Music Man never mentioned any such request. This was very genuine.)

Music Man said that, after I had told him about Jose's arrival, he heard God tell him to "go talk to that kid." Now, our Music Man has a full plate, and lots to do on Thursdays to prepare for a young-adult worship service he participates in each week on Thursday evenings. . .but he just went to talk to that kid anyway. While he was telling me the story, Music Man said that it was like a fist-fight with Satan. . .he was totally drained afterwards. . .and yet, he was also energized.

While they were talking and praying, José received a text message from a phone number he did not recognize. . .it said, "Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God," which is directly from the Old Testament in Leviticus 19:31. God had texted him (or He had someone text him) right when this young man needed a word from God most. He broke down. Music Man broke down. They prayed and eventually that young man accepted Christ, proclaiming that he was now, and finally, "safe" because of all that God had done for him.

Music Man said that it was in that moment of acceptance that he felt a presence in the room with them, and he watched this young man's face transformed from darkness to light. Weight was lifted from his shoulders, and when José left, he was a new man.

Well, a few minutes later, José returned. He was a new man, not the same José that had walked in earlier, face downcast, asking if he could just come in and pray. His face and his whole being were smiling brightly and proclaiming God's promise of new life! All he wanted now was to tell everyone he knew, but first he came back to thank Music Man. He and one of our ministers who was also in the office prayed with José and let him know how blessed they were that he had come in today.


This is soooo not my story to tell. . .still I must. I have Music Man's permission, and I have changed the names, but WOW!!! That's powerful stuff, and I just needed to share it. It's not something I see every day, or every week, month or year. What I normally see at my job is the average con, looking for a handout. . .churches are apparently pretty good marks. Thursday's interaction with José, even though I barely participated in it, sure does a lot to remind me what's at stake and why I am who I am. . .it's all about Him. Praise God!

Today, I will be knitting at the farm. I will be in the middle of God's amazing creation, and I will be praising Him and thanking Him for all that he has provided for his children, and I will be in constant prayer for those who don't know Him yet.

Oh, and I hope to finish another Hello Kitty Hat, too!
Thanks for stopping by, and Knit in Good Health!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What an AWESOME testimony! I am so happy I read your blog this evening... I was feeling a little down and I needed the reminder that GOD is ALWAYS with us!

    ReplyDelete